Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When I get to the top of page 10 of the tutorial, and try to export my button bar, I get told that "The named items Button 1 and Button 2 overlap. Please move one or mark them for slicing." What now?

When I get to the top of page 10 of the tutorial, and try to export my button bar, I get told that "The named items Button 1 and Button 2 overlap. Please move one or mark them for slicing." What now?

Deb

I had some similar problems.

Are there more buttons listed in the Name Gallery than there are buttons?

If so, try deleting some of the buttons.

Basically the shapes cannot overlap. But in the second mini-tutorial, Xara created two extra buttons which I deleted then everything exported fine.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

No extra buttons in the Name Gallery. But I clicked on "slices" in the exports drop down menu in the Name Gallery dialogue box, and checked Button Two. Then I found I could follow the rest of your steps from p. 10 of the tutorial. However, even though I named my file "index.htm" like you did, when I opted to view my button bar I got taken to "Page_2.htm" and the button bar didn't work at all in terms of mouse-off-over-down. It was all wrong. So, I've deleted my buttons, and I'm going to go back to the page in the tutorial where you begin the creation of the buttons, and try again. If the same thing happens I will have to conclude I have a bug.

It sounds to me as tho your buttons shapes have become corrupted between button 1 and button 2. The simplest way out of this is to make all button states visible and editable, then drag select over button 1. If you open the name gallery you might find that instead of the complete red circle you only get a half moon red circle. This indicates a corruption. The easiest way is to highlight botton ones name and hit the "redifine" button in the name gallery. Repeat this for all the other buttons.
    It's worth noting that you can also give the buttons more meaningful names instead of button one etc, by using the name gallery, but remember not to use spaces, use the underscore. use the rename button. Then when the mouse moves over a button the ALT text will be, say, home instead of button 1
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!corrupt_button1.gif 
Views:	352 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	5079  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!corrupt_button2.gif 
Views:	343 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	5729  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That sounds like a credible explanation.

I did find that buttons do get corrupted. It is not a perfect world.

What is so odd is that Xara created the buttons.

In my mini-tutorial, Xara repeatedly created buttons that were not properly spaced, although in the main tutorial, the one that Deb is having problems with, I had none.

Go figure.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

My second attempt to create the buttons was equally weird in a completely different way, and my export was as botched as the first one, in different ways. I think Xara has problems, and in this particular area, which I would have made much use of, it is too bad.

Text that fits visually inside your boxes can be taller in Xara terms than it looks on screen. If you convert it to a shape, then it will be the size it appears to be.

post the .xar file your having trouble with and I'll see if I can see what the problem is.

Gary
    I must admit I've never had trouble with spacing.

William
    I'm with you re text. I never use it to make a button, I always add it after the buttons have been created. It seems to do away with these extender buttons, which I find difficult to alter button names.

Egg
    Egg