Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Following on from Gary's tutorial, it's quite possible to create very odd shaped buttons, all thats required is that the buttons don't overlap on slicing. (I don't) know what would happen if you marked a button as okay to slice.
    odd shaped buttons
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cool Eric. You got it.

I was also experimenting with buttons that have explanatory text when you mouse over. Kind of like image swap effects in Fireworks, but the text is under the image rather than offset. And it works fine. I don't have an example but will try to post one later.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

Cheers.

I did a tutorial on this effect some while ago. It's not very pretty, but someone was wanting to know how to do it.

tutorial

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here is the .xar file

I only tried to export it as a .png file per Gary's tutorial, with 16 colors and error diffusion. For all I know it might have worked if I'd exported it as a .gif
    Attached Files Attached Files

In case Egg missed my last post...

No I didn't miss it...I d/l'ed the file this morning. I managed to correct the file, but there were problems with it, some fixed easily, others a bit more difficult.
    I also noticed some very strange effects that XaraX has with buttons which I will be posting later to see if anyone can confirm my findings.

Anyway back to your file...There's some misalignment, which is the biggest problem. Set all button states to visible / view to wire frame and then zoom in close. The misalignment becomes apparent.(see attachment).

However on correcting this I still had trouble exporting the file to achieve the roll-overs.

Follow these steps and see if you can get it to export correctly.

1: select each layer state in turn, select each individual button and text, then group.
    Repeat for each button, on every state.
    2: Set all layers to visible and editable. Select each individual button in turn and Align left and centre.
    3: As above, but select ALL buttons and just align left.
    4: Open the names gallery select each individual button in turn, highlight the name and hit "redifine"
    5: Again in the names gallery, delete all the names marked extenders.
    6: Select all including the backbar and export. Hopefully it should now function correctly, it did for me.

I know this sounds long winded but your correcting a file that's misaligned.

There's other issues I want to raise but I haven't got the spare time at present.

Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misaligned.gif 
Views:	161 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	20100  
    Egg