Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Ok, maybe I'm doing something wrong with my sites, but why does it seem that whenever I create a Flash site, about a third of the people I know out in the real world, can't access it. Then every body says "oh, maybe we should scratch the flash site and just do it in html so we know everyone can view it" I know flash has made great strides in recent years, but do you think it will ever have the reliability of plain old html? And I don't want to hear any html horror stories either, cause I know thats not faultless, it just seems to be quite a bit more universal than flash. WHEN IS FLASH GONNA CATCH UP!
    Ok, wrambling,
    comments please?
    Nicholas
    IP

Ok, maybe I'm doing something wrong with my sites, but why does it seem that whenever I create a Flash site, about a third of the people I know out in the real world, can't access it. Then every body says "oh, maybe we should scratch the flash site and just do it in html so we know everyone can view it" I know flash has made great strides in recent years, but do you think it will ever have the reliability of plain old html? And I don't want to hear any html horror stories either, cause I know thats not faultless, it just seems to be quite a bit more universal than flash. WHEN IS FLASH GONNA CATCH UP!
    Ok, wrambling,
    comments please?
    Nicholas
    IP

There are a few ways to beeter your chances of people being able to access Flash sites. One thing to to incorporate the Flash Deployment Kit (free extension from Macromedia). It detects if the Flash Player is installed on a users computer and makes sure it's the latest version as well. Will it fix everything? Nope, but it can improve the accessibility of the site.
    IP

You're quite right. Macromedia should sack its flash development team and spend some money on getting some intelligent and capable replacements.

A few years ago I got very excited about the innovations that Macromedia were bringing to the industry, so I converted. Since the MX fiasco, the bugs, the constrant new versions of the player, projects that work in the development environment but don't when you publish, the poor technical support and resistance to accept or acknowledge when they do have a serious bug...

... I now rate macromedia marginally above microsoft! (note I'm a mac user).

USING MACOS X and FLASH MX
    IP