Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Clone/Duplicate inside group

I can't clone or duplicate shapes selected inside a group, that's a bit annoying working with groups of shapes making up different parts.

JimR

Default Re: Clone/Duplicate inside group

No - but you can ctrl+Select an object in a group then ctlr+C to copy. Just paste it back and add it to the group.

Maybe make a post in Dear Xara, you would kind of expect it to behave like that and it would be useful to be able to do this. I notice you can't right click drag a copy either.

Is it possible to add an object to a group without ungrouping an re-grouping? I've tried dragging an object into the group in the layer gallery but it doesn't work either.

Jim

If you just accept the method that Steve has suggested, you will save yourself a lot of grief. After a while it becomes second nature and just do it without even thinking. Like Ctrl clicking on one object in a group then pressing the Tab key to toggle through each object in the group.

Xara has its idiosyncrasies, as do all programs. When you accept what they are and learn how to work around them, things will all make more sense.

the way I do this makes use of the layer gallery. In the layer gallery, select the group. open it up, but do not ungroup it. select the object you want to duplicate. Ctrl c, Ctrl v. Select the new object and the group. Ctrl g. open up the new group and select the old group.Ungroup it. Now you have a copy placed on top of the original inside a group.