Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Linux and Designer Pro 6

Hi Xperts.

Will Designer Pro 6 work on Linux?

Are any of you Xperts using Linux and other programmes that normally work on Window 7? I appreciate that Windows and Linux are different OS but wanted to know whether all programmes have to written specifically for Linux?

But, my main question is whether XDP6 will work on Linux or will I need to purchase a separate version for Linux?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Linux and Designer Pro 6

No Windows software will run under a native LINUX OS.

But, my main question is whether XDP6 will work on Linux or will I need to purchase a separate version for Linux?
    Xara do not make LINUX versions at all..

Thanks Steve.

I thought as much but it's good to get an experienced opinion and information.

I tried Linux before and just came across Ubuntu Linux, v9 I think. Tried it and wondered whether any Windows software would work on Linux.

Well, if you say no, then I shall stick to Windows.

In a way, I have been too 'windowised' anyway!

Started with Windows 3 in 1991 and now on Windows 7 in 2010.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Like the MAC OS, there are emulators (a virtual environment) within which you can execute Windows applications. But really, unless you're an enthusiastic geek, linux ain't ready for prime time.

Yep, applications need to be specifically written for linux to run there natively.

You can somewhat "cheat" and use wine to try and run windows applications under linux, or if you have an extra copy of windows you could use VirtualBox under linux to run your applications. Either way may or may not work for any particular application (or in the case of VirtualBox, Windows version) though.

I've run Xtreme under linux using wine in the past, but not recently and I can't remember which version it was.

In any case I would recommend Virtual Box over Wine for better compatibility in most cases, as getting things to run under Wine can take a great deal of technical know-how and fiddling around and it's generally not worth it.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    But really, unless you're an enthusiastic geek, linux ain't ready for prime time.
    Using an emulator may be a bit geekish

Using Ubuntu out of the box is certainly not [relative to windows] - nor is updating and using it for the everyday applications many ordinary people need
    Other implementations are now following the lead

Never got xtreme to work well under wine - or in fact acceptably beyond ver 2

Not tried virtual box
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That depends on your machine. I could not get UBUNTU to install the graphics drivers for my QuadroFX card, no matter what I tried. I suppose it's OK if you have a run-of-the-mill computer that you use for run-of-the-mill things but if you have any expectations of performance or optimisation, then you definitely need to be a full-on geek. Any Linux distro makes Vista's UAC seem like a walk in the park and UBUNTU is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Will Designer Pro 6 work on Linux?
    I just tried it in Wine. It doesn't quite work there yet. For more info, see
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=21209

That said, it doesn't seem that far off. If somebody really wants it to
    work in Wine, you could probably pay a Wine programmer for a week or two to fix the
    problems. Or you can wait for the Wine developers
    to fix the problems on their own schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    I could not get UBUNTU to install the graphics drivers for my QuadroFX card, no matter what I tried.
    If it isn't easy, it's broken. Ubuntu installs the right NVidia driver with something like two mouse clicks. If it's harder than that, give up, something's wrong.

Again, it depends on your expectations. The Foundry's Mari, a 3D paint application, requires specific driver versions [and only works on one specific QuadroFX card] to ensure all features are supported, not just whatever it happens to be that UBUNTU has in it's installer. Like I said, if you just want to use it for run of the mill things it's probably fine, otherwise it can be a real headache. In any event, with generic or outdated graphics drivers, it is never going to offer the performance of Windoze out of the box.