Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ride Thailand Holidays

gsthunder,
    I am lost for words! What you have done for me is totally "above and beyond the call of duty". Thank you so much for all your time and effort. I truly appreciate it!

I agree with your findings completely. Google Translate (GT) was the first thing I stripped out today - mainly because it was the only 'Google item' on every page. Yes, IE has no problems after it is removed - even with "Compatibility View" switched off. It is simply amazing that it has this effect on IE only but there it is. The evidence is clear!

Thank you very much for your suggestion re: the more manual version of GT. I have tried it and for some reason it seemed to mess up the text on the pages even more than the embedded version. So, for now at least, the solution is to remove GT completely - and I have agreed this with my Client. To be honest I was never in favour of using GT - but my client was fairly insistent on having a "minimal cost" language translation. Some good has come of the situation in my opinion!
    ;-)

I have just republished the site with all GT removed and fixes to FAQ etc. to remove references to the problem. A thorough test in IE seems to say all is OK now. I feel that a level of stability has been reached that, perhaps, really should have been attained before "Go Live". Another lesson learned...

Despite your modesty, it is clear to me that you are far more able to interpret what is going on with code than I am. All power to you - you are definitely a WINNER! Perhaps I should do some more learning in that respect - it's clear that it can be very helpful.

I'm extremely grateful for your help with this and if I can ever assist you with any web related problem you may be having then please do not hesitate to ask. You can contact me via Technoir Design. Furthermore, if you are ever in Koh Samui, I'd be delighted to meet up with you and buy you a drink!

Very Best Regards and Thanks once again for all your help.

TD

I think you could add a bit more length to your page to open things up a little. In doing so, you could move your headline text below the area of the mouse overs and eliminate the type problem. I know it is only a temporary thing, but several of us noticed it so it is not a subtle problem.

BTW The mouse over images on the snapshots is a very cool effect.

Hi gwpriester,
    thanks for taking the time to comment on the site and your very positive remarks.

I have been a little preoccupied with the NavBar issue but having solved that (big kudos to gsthunder!) I have now turned my attention to the 'mouseover effect'. As you correctly say, both yourself and xtom had commented on it, so worth fixing.

I didn't want to move the text about too much, so I experimented with making the text a graphic by grouping it with the page itself. Interestingly, this didn't seem to fix it. I say interstingly, because the date&time graphic on the "Contact Details" page should have the same problem but somehow doesn't. Anyway, I have now moved the text down a bit and the problem has gone away. I have also fixed the similar problems I mentioned earlier on the "Hotels" and "Motorcycles" pages.

Thanks for your remark about the mouseovers. I'd love to take credit for that idea but my inspiration for that came from a tutorial on xareg. Anyway, I'm happy you approve.

Very Best Regards

TD

Quote Originally Posted by Technoir Design View Post
    gsthunder,
    I am lost for words! What you have done for me is totally "above and beyond the call of duty". Thank you so much for all your time and effort. I truly appreciate it!

I agree with your findings completely. Google Translate (GT) was the first thing I stripped out today - mainly because it was the only 'Google item' on every page. Yes, IE has no problems after it is removed - even with "Compatibility View" switched off. It is simply amazing that it has this effect on IE only but there it is. The evidence is clear!

Thank you very much for your suggestion re: the more manual version of GT. I have tried it and for some reason it seemed to mess up the text on the pages even more than the embedded version. So, for now at least, the solution is to remove GT completely - and I have agreed this with my Client. To be honest I was never in favour of using GT - but my client was fairly insistent on having a "minimal cost" language translation. Some good has come of the situation in my opinion!
    ;-)

I have just republished the site with all GT removed and fixes to FAQ etc. to remove references to the problem. A thorough test in IE seems to say all is OK now. I feel that a level of stability has been reached that, perhaps, really should have been attained before "Go Live". Another lesson learned...

Despite your modesty, it is clear to me that you are far more able to interpret what is going on with code than I am. All power to you - you are definitely a WINNER! Perhaps I should do some more learning in that respect - it's clear that it can be very helpful.

I'm extremely grateful for your help with this and if I can ever assist you with any web related problem you may be having then please do not hesitate to ask. You can contact me via Technoir Design. Furthermore, if you are ever in Koh Samui, I'd be delighted to meet up with you and buy you a drink!

Very Best Regards and Thanks once again for all your help.

TD
    Navbar works fine now. Looks like you got it.

It wasn't actually that it was a "Google" item it was due to the way the script was written conflicting with your navbar. Too many <script> entries without some tweaks here and there for add ons like that GT widget and IE has a melt down for some reason??? I had no Google items on my site when it did it. Just the Webstyle4 navbar and then I had manually entered some java code for a slideshow.

I recognized the problem simply because I just went through this myself. I definitely am no code genius. Not being modest just honest about my skill level. I have learned what to look for when problems arise at times but that is it. I got lucky this time as it happened to me before. Had it not I wouldn't have had a clue.

In the end I am glad I could help. That is what matters.

Seems strange that a simple image file( .gif, .jpg, .png, etc... )or a line of text with a link would cause problems? Really odd.

Again, it is a great site and best of luck. If I am ever in "Koh Samui"( I will look you up.