Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sound on popup layer?

Web Designer 6 -- can I add sound to a popup layer? I want the user to mouseover and display the layer art, and at the same time play a short WAV or MP3 file that stops when the layer is mouseoffed.

Or, if impossible via a popup, how to do it on page load/exit?

And by the way -- WD6 is the most amazing value. It is shocking, even in this recession, to think of all the work, all the code, that is retailed at such a low price. Sort of like getting a new Bentley Azure for about $2000. Glad I'm an artist; if I were a programmer, life wouldn't be fair right about now.

Default Re: Sound on popup layer?

Web Designer doesn't include tools to add sound events I'm afraid. Maybe next time

Try this: it works in IE with Windows 7... do Edit/Paste HTML Placeholder... gives you a neat small sound control with pause and volume... also the sound stops when you leave the page, perfect for user control. Plays MP3s and WAVs. Change "url.mp3" to the filename of your audio file.

<object height="40px" width="200px"
    classid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95">
    <param name="AutoStart" value="0" />
    <param name="FileName" value="url.mp3" />
    </object>

And, if you want an invisible control that plays automatically (user can only turn it off by going to another page), try this:

<object height="0px" width="0px"
    classid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95">
    <param name="AutoStart" value="1" />
    <param name="FileName" value="url.mp3" />
    </object>

I'm using this on a local PC, haven't tried it yet from a real website. Haven't tried it with other browsers. Noticed in IE that the sound keeps playing if I move away from my multi-page WD6 test to a completely different site via an IE browser tab.

Any thoughts/comments?

If it works, and if it is what you want, then that is comment enough.

Personally, I find it jarring and off-putting to go to a site and suddenly be assaulted by music or an announcer. Maybe it is because I have worked for too long without sound. But unless there is a reason for sound to be there, and unless it is something I can control, I'm out of there so fast it will make your head spin. But maybe that is just me. I'm old and I'm grumpy. Almost all the time.

FWIW Steve (sledger the regular guy) contributed a Workbook article on adding sound to a web page here http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...workbook_3.htm

I'm getting old and grumpy too, Gary. But I like the first example code, where it gives you a controller that waits for you to start the sound... I think that can be a great help in elearning (without having to buy Adobe Captivate for $800 to add simple sounds you can record for free with Audacity. But I'm getting old, and these days simpler is better, and WD6 seems to be stripped down to what you need most, and that makes for a great product when you need to do work faster, better, cheaper in this recession...

Just want to add, I'm grumpy a lot too.