Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Text editing after html creation

I wonder if you only published the index page and not the index_html_files folder?

I sometimes get a dog's breakfast if I think I can get away with only uploading a single page and not the folder as well.

Does not matter from a editable stance - this is not cool. Say a client wants to edit their own text. This is like having a lambroghini with a Pinto engine. Even Serif Web Plus has text export that works in any code. .
    That's the way the cookie crumbles as we say. If your client is worth the time and effort, get him or her a copy of Web Designer or Designer. Make sure your client has the same fonts installed. And pre-configure the publish info. Personally, I would feel very uncomfortable having a client edit any of my websites. That is my job and it is what they are paying me to do.

Don't buy a dog if you intend to bark... etc.

I have moved this post to the web forum where it is more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by JENR8 View Post
    You are incorrect sir... That template came directly from version 6 template galleries... It is called Omega theme.. Then once you export it without ANY modifications and changes look at it in ANY editor (Dreamweaver, Ms Expression Web) This really stinks for any editing outside of XWD!
    Sorry Jen, you're right - I hadn't dl'd all the templates as I'd thought.

Anyway, as has been said - Xara sites are not designed to be edited in other software (outside of XWD or DP6).

Now.. Let me try and EXPLAIN how to get around this and HOPEFULLY Xara can correct it or offer a workaround. Text w/ XWD is layered based.. (i.e. - sample screenshots from Dreamweaver). They overlap. If you stretch the TEXT layer - it corrects the text layout on this particular template. Now if text is overlapping - I would recommend moving the text into one layer and it should work... Xara is at the point of making a great Web based editor - but even Xara Webstyle did not have layered text or whatever is causing the text to get jumbled! I almost guarantee this layered text because REPEL text around an object! That needs to be a seperate option from normal text input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layer1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	76417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layer2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	76418  

Last edited by JENR8; 28 August 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JENR8 View Post
    . Xara is at the point of making a great Web based editor
    This is where I see the confusion and frustration stemming from. Xara don't make a Web 'editor' - they make a Web 'Designer'.
    There is not even any internal HTML while creating a design, it's not trying to be a Dreamweaver, or even a Serif WebPlus, it's a new concept entirely built on their Xara Xtreme graphics engine (camelot). The HTML filter does all the work on export, it 'generates valid HTML' and creates a webpage based on your designed layout AKA: WYSIWYG.
    So yeh, whilst it might be possible with some effort to edit exported pages, it's not designed or even recommended to do so because if you need to go back to Xara to do more work on the design all of your external editing will be lost once you re export the site.

That is the issue though. If you can design the site get it EXACTLY the way you want it. Then you upload it to the server. The site needs minor adjustments of text (i.e. Coming Events, New Arrivals, etc.) - then you have to go in the server and delete ALL files from the server - including images for a simple Text input value. They are SO CLOSE to an awesome product but this would help having the text be a text ID instead of a layer!.

you have to go in the server and delete ALL files from the server - including images for a simple Text input value.
    Not at all Jen,
    WD6 and DP6 both have the feature to publish changes only.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	publish-changes.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	76421

I maintain several sites and make regular changes. Never an issue and never have to remove all files either.

I see that in the Other Settings but I do not understand how this would work. Can you please explain it to me...

From the Help file.

Re-publish changed files only
    By default Xara Designer Pro 6 keeps track of the files that make up your published website and when you come to re-publish after making changes to your site, it attempts to re-publish only the files that have changed. This makes re-publishing much quicker in most cases.
    However Xara Designer Pro 6 does not know if you have deleted or modified files in your web space using another tool.
    Basically it keeps track of your files via a special lister (*.xhl) file.
    Delete or move that file and it will re export/publish all files.

I suggest you try it and see for yourself how it works for you, then you'll be better able to keep in mind what to expect when you republish your site.
    Note: This DOES NOT WORK if you publish with any other software, you MUST publish using Xara's own internal FTP (publishing) function.

I am going to give it a go, but I have my own server and need to make the proper adjustments so it accepts. I am finding so many things that are propitiatory within this software. Love the simplicity but man this is frustrating to a degree....

Xara's publishing feature uses the standard File Transfer Protocol (FTP), nothing proprietary about it Jen. It works with the majority of hosts and server software out there by design. There should be no need to make any 'adjustments' for your server to accept an FTP connection provided you supply the correct and usual details..

The reasons you must use Xara's publishing feature has only relevance to the 'Re-publish changed files' feature only because the way it remembers what has already been published and what NEEDS to be RE-published because of CHANGES you have made.
    How can any other software possibly know this?
    As you say, 'Simplicity'