Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Violin

Default Re: Violin

Great job Steve! I like it. As my grandfather would say "that's a nice piece of furniture" and that was quite a complement coming from his trade. Thank you for sharing. I enjoy seeing this type of work done in Xara.

Steve
    Excellent work though I reiterate what Gary says about not using the pure black/grey but I would add that its the f holes for me that look a bit as though they were painted on rather than exist as a cut out in the violin itself. Just a tiny detail that detracts from the whole for me.
    Derek

Thanks again for the feedback. I have actually now started working on this piece again, which is very strange after more than 12 years since I last touched it! I had only been using Xara for a short time then so was still learning and had a lot still to learn. I've unpicked some of the things I'd done already and found easier ways to do them of course.

As an artist I do understand about the issues about using using solid black, and am slowly unpicking what I'd done and am redoing those areas. Regarding the 'f' holes, they actually were 'cut-out' holes in the xara file although I had a solid black area behind (now amended) and although they were obviously a hole in the Xara file it didn't show up too well in the JPEG - again I've made it more obvious.

So, as soon as I'm happy with the result I'll re-post it back on here and maybe even the .xar file too.

Lovely piece of work, especially considering the smaller range of tools you had to work with. But then, to be honest, it's the basic tools that created some of the most impressive works of art that can still be seen in the Xara Gallery.

Thanks for sharing
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.