Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PSPX3 :Compress jpegs in Organiser

Does PSPX3 have the ability to shift click several files and then save them as a compressed file in the Organiser? ACDSee had this ability in earlier versions to do it simply, but I cannot find it in PSP.
    I have looked at the script writing feature, but it looks like you need to open the files first in the editor before creating a script.
    Even then I tried to create a script but it didn't work.
    Failing this I will need to get ACDSee. It is far easier if all this can be achieved in the one program of course.
    Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: PSPX3 :Compress jpegs in Organiser

The images you see in the organiser are Thumbs linked to the real images stored on the computer.
    Now why would You want to compress, compressed images with out seeing how great the loss of quality will be in the result. Each time you open a Jpeg and re save you are throwing away some detail Do it enough times and you get a coloured mess. If you had created a script you could run it on a folder of images using batch process with out having to open each image in the workspace. The process will open and re save each for you without further user input. But you will still have that loss. So there are ways and means.

Still I come back to the fact they are compressed so why recompress.
    File space is not critical these days with 1 TB costing what 20 GB did only a few years ago.
    My method is to keep the original and only work on copies Often saved as PSP format until all work is done then if I want it for the web or a slide show I will resize and save as jpeg for the web, still keeping the psp in case I find another use or a better way to enhance at some future date
    IP

You make a fair point about hard drives and storage, and thank you for your response.
    Of the pics that I take, about 1/10 are of any real aesthetic value to me. The rest are purely work records that I like to compress, probably because I relate to them more like 'sticky notes'.
    In the camera, they all save at about 2mb each, which is ok for the aesthetic pics. I do take maybe a dozen shots of jobs that serve only as reminders for me of how to quote a construction job for instance, and I am more likely to hang on to them if a dozen shots equals 1mb rather than 20mb. Sounds silly, I know.
    After attempting a script file, I was notified that saving (an external command) was not an option.
    It has been suggested to me that in PSP>Organiser I should select the files, then run the file>batch process to save jpg to the chosen compression. I tried it and it works.

Nothing beats ACDSee for pure speed though.
    IP

No need to add save in the script. The batch process will do that. In fact come to think off it you don't need a script.I had a look and you can select a folder and select individual select all as is your want. Save as a new type select Peg click the options to set the compression level best save to a new folder and you can modify the file names by adding oldcomp or something to the name then click start and away it goes. Best open a file first and do File export Jpeg optimiser. That way you can see what the effect of the compression setting will have on an image and typical file size When your happy remember that compression level close the image and go to batch process.
    IP

Yes, this method works well. I am pretty rapt with PSPX3 just quietly. The previous version was hanging by a thread on my computer, but for me, X3 handles the entire graphic process well.
    IP