Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using other program's plugins

Many of you know this already, but for those of you who don't:

You can sometimes use other program's plugins within Xara Xtreme or Xara Designer 6 by simply setting a pathway from Live Effect tool setup.

Here I am accessing the KPT collection from within the Painter lX plugin folder.

it works!

- Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KPT collection.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	75229  

Default Re: Using other program's plugins

You can sometimes install or move the filters into the Xara Picture Editor > PSPlugins folder. It makes it easier to manage the various filters.

I am not sure if they still do this, but at one time, Xara posted a list of compatible filters on their website.

I usually install plugins in one folder independant of other applications and point apps to that folder.
    Advantage is that in case i.e. Xara and all folders are deleted, plugins remain. In case you have some that want to be activated that should be a plus.

Juergen

As I remember, Knockout installs as a program with an *.8bf file to access the program. Maybe knockout.8bf. The install allows an install to other programs, but it just adds the 8BF file. It has been years, however, I think this can be done manually by placing a copy of the plugin file to a selected application.

Rich

I tried to start a thread but the forum software for some reason would not let me. So I will put it here, as it is close enough. Is anybody compiling a plug-in compatibility master list so that Xara users can know what programs will work in what versions of Xara and what might need to be done to them to get them to work? Seems like something like that would really be needed....?

There used to be a list on the Xara site but I just looked and cannot find it.

I believe that you can use almost any Photoshop compatible filter so long as it does not require a pixel selection.

That doesn't help me very much, as how would I know? I'm not even sure what "pixel selection" is. Also, I have bought plug-ins in the past which turned out not to work. And people have been posting in this thread about things that did not work. I think a list would be helpful.

I use Photoshop 7 as the Xara image editor at times. AutoFX plugins don't work with Xara as a host. With PS 7 as the editor, I think I need to make a bitmap copy to get PS7 to open as the editor. It isn't a perfect method. The image will open in PS7, and a filter can be applied. Then close the image in PS7 and it will ask if you want to save the file. Yes is good.
    The image gets returned to Xara. Otherwise, you'll need to save to a folder. Just an example. Some PS 5.5 native filters will work. After that Adobe changed the filter structure.

Some filters return an additional border.

Rich

Why not try each plugin and see! All that happens is you get the grey screen and then the message Xara has stopped working and then you have to quit the programme. Just make sure that you save your work before you go into Live Effects and try the plugins as many will not work because of two reasons one being the older filters don't work with Vista or Windows 7 the other being xara only supports PS 7 filters and the like.
    Design is thinking made visual.

A view of XXP5 with PS7 and an alternate folder selected. The alternate folder has a few PS 5.5 filters. Nothing I use. Just for tests. AutoFX does show, but doesn't none of the plugins appear. The second image is with the alternate folder off.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	76436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSO.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	76437