Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Panorama is slow

I have recently been playing around with the panorama program and have found a couple of disconcerting things.

Firstly, XDP6 appears to be much slower than XX5. XDP6 takes four to five minutes to stitch a group of 2 or 3 photos. XX5 takes about three minutes.

Secondly, the stitched result may be distorted and in one case was incorrectly overlapped.

These did not unduly concern me until I decided to try another panorama program that I had lying around. It was the ArcSoft program that came with a recently purchased point and shoot digital camera. Nothing very special I would have thought.

When I ran the same tests I was very surprised. The 2 photo group took only one minute to be stitched and the 3 photo groups took 1.5 minutes. More importantly in each case there was no visible distortion in the resultant panorama and overlapping was correct in each case.

I wonder have any others made similar measurements and can you share the results?

Erik

Default Re: Panorama is slow

You might also like to try Microsoft ICE Freeware .... It's supposed to be lightning fast. Check out the demo video
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for the headsup on ICE. That is one fast program. So fast it is hard to measure but of the order of seconds for simple two and three photo panoramas. I am going to try vertical and these multi-layer panoramas next. The technology has sure moved on in the last few years in this area.
    Erik

I believe the speed at which the panorama is created is more affected by your computer hardware than the software. I just did several panoramas with 6 photos each, and they were finished in about 20 seconds. The original photos were hi-res of about 3.5mb each.

Jim