Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website Page Background - Unintended Joins Showing In Browser

Hi,

If this is the wrong section for posting, please re-direct me. I have searched for a solution.

Using XX5, I've created a draft web page background (see xara file attached).

I drew a full-page image of how I want the web page background to look like using vector shapes and graduated fills and transparencies. I then made a bitmap copy, making sure it was wider in whole pixels than the web page's width and set it as the background. The background is the only item on the drawing page prior to exporting. On viewing the exported index file in a browser there are two white, vertical, narrow bands running down the background, either side of what I assume is the actual page's horizontal boundaries.

Is there a way to make this graphic seamless across the whole page, please?

I've had to attach the xara file as I don't have any hosting just now and I don't know how else to share and display it. I've attached a screen dump of the index file in IE8, but the lines aren't centrally-placed in the browser window. The left line is just visible at the left.

Thanks,
    Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Website Page Background - Unintended Joins Showing In Browser

It's caused by the fact that the grass on the left hand side goes off the background ... clip/crop it to suit, and it should be fine.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your reply. Crop by how much, please Keith? Can I measure that some way or use an index of some sort? Or do I just use trial and error?

I made a previous site where I created a 'plain', narrow (10 pix wide) graduated strip, set it as the background and it tiled seamlessly across the page to the full width of the background,allowing me to place shapes and text over the top of it. In this case, the 'header area' of the page contains the complex shapes of the 'grass' that I want to retain across the page's width.

Frank

Frank - The problem is your bitmap has a bit of white on each edge. You need to drag the bitmap off to the pasteboard and you can see the white edge. This white edge is causing a white stripe to appear when the pattern repeats.

I have attached your page with a corrected bitmap on which I have removed the white areas on the left and right.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I thought that this was the problem. I don't see white edges, but do see that the grass is wider than the background. If you use make sure that the grass isn't wider than the background it should fix it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	75211  
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much. Not sure what I did to create the white stripes on either edge.

I downloaded the file you kindly made and loaded it into a new web page file. It warned me that it was made with a different version of xara, and that some data would be ignored (technical details 4423).

I tried to make a bitmap copy of the graphic that loaded - the info bar said the graphic was a rectangle, i.e. a vector object with a shadow. In the Create Bitmap Options dialogue it wouldn't show the object in either Image A or B (preview) windows. I switched from True Colour plus Alpha to True Colour - it gave me a preview in Image A window only. I created the bitmap anyway, and set it as the background. I exported it and viewed it in a browser.

There are still two stripes at the 'page's' edges, albeit thinner and not so bright. I'm guessing this might be because the graduated fills above and below the grass line may not be exactly perpendicular to the upper and lower edges, causing a visible tonal difference at the border's lateral edges where it tiles. I'll have to re-jig the original graduations in an effort to eliminate this possibility.

The question remains, though: Can I not create a shape that would be much wider than the 'web page', and make a bitmap copy of that and then set it as the backround, rather than make it the size of the web page's central canvas, and then have it tiled to the browser's edge?

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but I've been at this one thing all day and it's driving me nuts

Thank you for your patience,
    Frank

Hi Keith,

Your reply came in while I was typing my response to Gary.

Thank you for noticing that and letting me know. Well spotted. I'll have a closer look at that and get my 'strimmer' to it.

I'm going to have to do it tomorrow as I'm rather punch drunk with it just now. It will be better with a clear head tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help,
    Frank

Well spotted Keith.

In that case, a clip view might solve the issue.