Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara or CMS?

Threaded View

Default Xara or CMS?

Hi,
    I have been lurking around for a while and decided to post.
    I know that this has been asked and answered before, but I just can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Firstly, I have to say that I think all Xara products are really easy to use and I find them highly productive.
    As my job isn't in design or web development (rather IT consulting) I kind of know what a CMS is and what Dreamweaver is etc. I have used many of them. (Joomla, Mambo, WebGUI, Concrete5, Drupal etc)

What I would like to know is where the 'gotchas' are.

Why use a CMS?
    1. You may want to change the look of the site, but keep the content the same
    2. Many users are updating the site on a regular basis
    3. You want to publish information which will expire on a certain date
    4. You need a search engine on the site

Why not use a CMS?
    1. The setup of the template is complex, time consuming and restrictive
    2. You need to constantly upgrade the CMS software, or you get behind
    3. When you want to make a change to one page, you might find it hard to do
    4. Changing the template can be hit and miss

Sure, there probably are lots more pros and cons.
    Now, if I was managing a site with 100's of pages, then I would use a CMS, or just wordpress.
    But, for my own website, which is about 50 pages and doesn't need a CMS I am wondering if I should just build it in Xara?
    Xara is so easy to use, it almost seems that it is a toy and that I will get stuck somewhere. I am worried that when I get 99% into the site, I will hit a wall, especially with SEO.

When I look at some of the sites which I like, they might be built on a CMS, but their look is clean and modern. For example, the BI tool we sell is QlikView and to build a similar site in Xara would be possible.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 04 August 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Breach of rules. Spam