Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

Snap is something I do not use.

Even when making technical drawing, trying to make extremely precise measurements is impractical.

Anyone following the drawings will have to make adjustments according to the equipment and/or instruments being used at the time they are performing the work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

Bill,

I think that the point "we" are trying to make is that we are not drawing a line and adding arrowheads, we are trying to draw an arrow - from A to B. Snap arrow from point A to point B. One operation. I also don't see any benefit from adding arrow heads to the line length, they are supposed to be part of the arrow.

As a CAD draftsman, I've never come across a software that follows your logic of adding the arrow to the line. In my opinion it's not logical, and I too will agree to disagree ... I find it very difficult to follow your reasoning, or your logic, and like Eric don't see any possible advantage to doing it your (Xara's) way .....

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    ... Even when making technical drawing, trying to make extremely precise measurements is impractical ...
    If I had to pick one fault with Xara, it would be just that imprecision ... Accuracy and snaps is very hit and miss. The precision should not be limited by the software, but by the users requirements.

Why does the program have the ability to zoom to 25000% if precision is impractical?
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 03 August 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Keith,

Feel free to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm:374896
    ...we are trying to draw an arrow...
    So you agree that the arrowhead must be part of the line before making it the length needed?

Otherwise it isn't an arrow, simply a line.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

So you agree that the arrowhead must be part of the line
    Absolutely I do ... Agreed ... "the arrowhead must be part of the line" ... not added to it!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

hahaha...so you must create the arrow before it becomes and arrow.

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I rather think that the tail and head just say how the line should be presented, not added to.

But to be presented they must be added to the line. Otherwise it remains a simple line.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

But to be presented they must be added to the line. Otherwise it remains a simple line.
    Bill that's you're interpretation, considering the parts as integral to the line is equally valied. In reality most people want a line with arrowheads that point to a certain position. It's inconvenient to have to adjust lines to suit differrent arrow head sizes, when there's a simple alternative. We're in it for the result not the experience!

Paul until or if Xara Ltd makes a change you and I must live with the way it currently works.

I've had my fun for today. Hope no one was offended by me pulling your leg.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Wink Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

Don't usually then usually disagree with Bill, but in this matter I'm on the side Eric and his supporters, it seems far more sensible to me that if you have a line of any width/length the arrowhead and tail should remain within the limits of the line width/length, not increase it's dimensions.

In fact, I fail to see any advantage that can be gained that on increasing line width and/or length, the line is also increased, dependent on the size of the arrow and tail.

However, this one is an old chestnut, as any search of the forums will return the same results as this thread is already showing. It's very similar to whether the line width should be added externally, internally, or centrally as is the current default.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host