Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default IE8 Issue With Embedded YouTube Videos

Hi,
    firstly, apologies if this has been dealt with by another thread - if so, please re-direct me accordingly. I can't believe that I would be the first person to raise this...

I have a problem with embedded YouTube videos when viewed within IE8 - they remain 'on top' of both pop-up windows and drop-down menus. Example screen shots are attached..

Is this a generic IE8 problem or something I'm doing wrong? No such issue with Firefox though (how typical...).

I haven't tried yet but I also wondered whether using an embedded video player and uploading the video to my server instead of YouTube might solve it...

I have also noted that the drop-down menus are a bit erratic in IE8 and as per another thread have tried 'compatibility mode' to resolve it. It's better but not perfect..

Thanks in advance & Best Regards

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE8 - Drop-down Menu Hidden Under Video Content.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	75063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE8 - Pop-up Hidden Under Video Content.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	75064  

Default Re: IE8 Issue With Embedded YouTube Videos

Just a guess here but that it appears by the pictures like a Z-INDEX order issue? I don't know if Xara's Layers of bringing them forward or backward in designing as in navigation always on top will address this or not.

Hi

im not seeing the problem with the drop down menus when testing but do see this behaviour with the popup photos.

Out of interest, what revision of Web Designer 6 are you using? (select help followed by about xara web designer)

I worked around the problem by applying wmode trick to the code provided by YouTube.

Add the following parameter to the OBJECT tag:
    <param name="wmode" value=""transparent" />

Add the following parameter to the EMBED tag:

wmode="transparent"

This allowed the popup image to appear above the YouTube video

Hope this helps

Thumbs up Re: IE8 Issue With Embedded YouTube Videos

Hi Mediaguy & bb2,
    very many thanks for your suggestions, you managed to solve one problem each!

Mediaguy,
    once I applied all screen elements to a single layer and brought the Nav Bar to the top of that layer, menu is displayed successfully over the embedded video. Strange how Firefox doesn't display any such behavioural problems - even when I had the video in a different layer above that which contained the NavBar... Ho Hum.

bb2,
    I tried the wmode trick and that worked perfectly with the pop-ups. What a shame that this has to be done manually for each and every video - I have quite a few to deal with... Just happy to be able to fix it!

I wondered whether the same ordering issue that solved the menu problem might also influence the Pop-ups too. I haven't experimented yet but will report back if I get any positive results.

Many thanks to you both for your assistance. You guys are totally excellent!

Best Regards

TD

Glad to have helped on half of the solution

Cheers