Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 1 August Xara Xone - New Tutorial - Seth Thomas Clock - Part I

Thanks again Gary
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Hi Gary,

How long would you say it should take to do a drawing like this one for an average user?

And then, how long does it take you to do this drawing?

Thanks,
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I have no idea how long this would take an average user. Do you mean to do it from scratch? Or how long would it take the average user to follow the steps, step gingerly over my errors, and complete the drawing?

I worked on this over a period of ten days. Part of that time was to create the image and most of the time to create and write up the steps, plus a fair amount of time to track down missing objects

Hi Gary, I could not wait until the 15th. I at least had to try to complete the clock. Based on what I learned from the first tutorial I was able to do the Cabinet. The brass work with a bit more of a challenge. I know that I've missed some things but this is my attempt at completing your tutorial.

I am going to enjoy going through your tutorial when it comes out on the 15th to see how exactly you put it together. Thank you again for the tutorial, I am learning a lot.

I hope you don't mind me jumping ahead.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock 2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	75077  

Paul, that's cheating.

Sorry Gary. I got started and I just couldn't stop. I guess I'm not very good at to be continued. But next time, I will wait to I post.

Thanks again for the great tutorial.

Hi Gary,

That's a tremendous amount of work to create such a tutorial. I always appreciate you masters helping drag us up from the dungeons to actually learn something practical.

I just did the tutorial again and it still took me a long time. I seemed to have trouble with the 6 pixel ring (page 6) and getting the conical fill to work properly. I got it, but it took a lot of effort and I still don't really know what I was doing wrong. I had much better succes with getting everything centered properly, zooming works wonders.

I seemed also to have trouble with the small circles being hidden. I had to make up my own step for that to get it on the front of the clock. I still don't know why that happened but it worked out anyway.

Thanks for the video, it's awesome and really helps explain how to work the lines with the right tools.

Also, I think on page 7, you mention the linear mix should go from 20% to 50% in the drawing but 20% to 80% in the text. I did the text but it might confuse someone (like me).

I guess in my first questions (about amount of time) I was wondering how long it would take you to do this clock and how long it should take the average person if they are reasonably familiar with WD6P.

At any rate Gary, an extremely useful tutorial, and just so you know, I was thinking of going ahead and trying to figure out some of part 2. There are some things I may not be able to figure out yet but you are creating monsters out there....way to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLK2.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	75082  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

All of these clocks here are just amazing. I've started the tutorial but this has been a busy week for me so it's only about half done. Kudos to you Gary for this great tutorial
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thumbs up Re: 1 August Xara Xone - New Tutorial - Seth Thomas Clock - Part I

Hi Karateed, good job on your clock. I think it turned out very well. I only have one suggestion. The shadows on the hands of the clock are suggesting that the light source is coming from underneath. According to the light source on the clock the shadow should be coming down and to the right.

I understand your question about the time. I found myself asking that quite frequently since it took me a long time to get through the tutorial. Like you, I would do the tutorials over again and struggle each time. Now when somebody shows me something on the forum I do it over until I don't need the instructions and then I create something brand-new with the same technique. What used to take me hours I can now do in an hour.

I would encourage you to try and do the second half the tutorial. Even though it's cheating.

Again, great job. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Hi Psaumure,

I was kind of wondering about the shadowing. I followed it exactly in the tutorial and wasn't sure that it looked quite right. I think Gary might be putting that in there just to test us and make us use our minds to figure things out and be creative.

I wasn't really sure where the light source was on this one so couldn't seem to make a clear decision on how to do the shadows other than how they are in the tut.

Anyway, I agree with you that repetitiveness is the best way to get faster and more accurate with these tutorials. I think also setting up a second monitor would be very useful too.

These tutorials are really a lot of fun to do and if you would have told me I could even do this in software, I wouldn't have believed you. For the Xara unitiated, this is truly a miracle.....

As with the last tutorial, I already see that I will use some of these techniques in other drawings...it'll be fun to practise them.