Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how do you make a custom mold?

im reading tony roberts mold tutorial but i don't think i understand what i need to do. what i want to do is make a really weird shape then make my grouped object conform to that shape. how is this done? meanwhile ill keep on reading the tutorial.

Default Re: how do you make a custom mold?

You must remember that a mould in Xara requires no more or less than four nodes and four sides. The sides can be curved or very short but there must always be four of them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

this is what i do, i take the pen tool, and draw 4 points with the pen tool, either straight lines or curves. then i select the desired envelope shape, click mold tool, then click on my grouped objects, then... ill stop here cause man i dunno what im doing

hmm, must you actually start your custom mold from a default shape like a square oval or something and then tweak it to your desired shape. i was trying to draw the the with the pen tool. if so, still don't understand the copy and paste method used to create the mold.

:edit: it was just a matter of moving the curve handles to create weird shapes. however is there a way to draw a shape from scratch and then make my group of objects conform to my created shape?

See the Xara Help section on 'Enveloping' .

To help you understand better, you are 'moulding' a shape using an 'envelope'.
    You select the starting 'envelope' shape using SHIFT+F6 (The Mould Tool).

however is there a way to draw a shape from scratch and then make my group of objects conform to my created shape?
    No - you cannot draw any old shape with the pen tool for a mould envelope.

i understand now.

Any closed shape with exactly four points.
    Tony