Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Script cannot find file! ANY help welcome.

Hello All!

My goal: Make and run a script to add a bunch of nozzle .RIFF files to a User made nozzle library.

I recorded the actions of loading a new nozzle from an RIFF file. I then added the new nozzle to my library.

Manually, this works fine.

When the script runs, the program balks that it cannot find the nozzle file.
    I even saved the script (exported) to the folder that has the actual files. I then imported the script and ran it. Same issue -Painter cannot find the nozzle!

I actually tried this from 2 different nozzle libraries. If I try running the script from my "Gary.nozzles" library, Painter complains that "the preferred nozzle Poppies could not be found". Poppies is a nozzle in the "Assorted Nozzles. nozzles" library - so why is Painter looking in that library for the Poppies nozzle when I a made the script in my own nozzle library?

Trying to get past the problem above, I tried running a new script created while the Nozzles.nozzles library IS loaded. The following problem then occurs:

1st, Painter complains that "The file 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Corel Painter 11\Resources\Painter Nozzles\Nozzles-Stars/NSN_005.RIF could not be opened". Painter dropped the first letter of the file name in the script!! The actual file name is SNSN_005.RIF - with an "S" in 1st char position. Any ideas on that?! After correcting the script file name and rerunning the script, it did add the new nozzle to the Assorted Nozzles.nozzles library.

After saving the script, I changed the nozzle file names in the script and reran from the Assorted library (with a section to move the new nozzle to my own library). I now get the error "The preferred pattern Hens and Chicks could not be found." That pattern is in "Painter Patterns.patterns" which is currently open in Painter - the Hens and Chicks icon is selected in the tool. Why is Painter looking for Hens and Chicks (a pattern) and why is it unable to find it? My only clue is that "Patterns.patterns" is NOT the default library, and I am not sure how to fix that (without a massive restore of Painter).

If anyone with scripting knowledge could suggest a fix to any of the problems above that would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!

Below is the last script I ran, which has the Pens and Chicks error above:

script_version_number version 11
    artist_name ""
    start_time date Sat, Jul 30, 2010 time 8:27 AM
    start_random 259823924 393719072
    variant "Painter Brushes" "Image Hose" "Spray-Size-P"
    oil_load_slider 0
    texture "Paper Textures" "<str t=17500 i=001>"
    grain_inverted unchecked
    directional_grain unchecked
    scale_slider 1.00000
    paper_brightness_slider 0.50000
    paper_contrast_slider 1.00000
    portfolio_change ""
    gradation "Painter Gradients.gradients" "Two-Point"
    weaving "Painter Weaves.weaves" "<str t=17504 i=001>"
    pattern_change "" "<str t=17001 i=001>"
    path_library_change "Painter Selections"
    nozzle_change "Assorted Nozzles.nozzles" "Poppies"
    use_brush_grid unchecked
    new_tool 1
    gradation_options type 0 order 0 angle 0.00 spirality 1.000
    pattern_options pattern_type 1 offset 0.594
    preserve_transparency unchecked
    wind_direction 4.712389
    color red 61 green 61 blue 237
    background_color red 255 green 252 blue 16
    load_nozzle "SNSN_005.RIF"
    nozzle_change "Assorted Nozzles.nozzles" "SNSN_005.RIF"
    nozzle_change "Assorted Nozzles.nozzles" "SNSN_005.RIF"
    end_time date Sat, Jul 30, 2010 time 8:28 AM
    IP

Default Re: Script cannot find file! ANY help welcome.

You should be able to make the can't find the preferred Pattern error go away by deleting the following line from the script;

pattern_change "" "<str t=17001 i=001>"

I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to accomplish with the script though. It is my understanding that the Load Nozzle command will allow a rif nozzle file to be loaded and used, and the Add Nozzle to Library command 'should' add that nozzle to the currently selected Nozzle library. I say should, as I find this to be buggy in Painter 11 (possibly why you are running into problems).

The nozzle rif files can only be loaded and used one at a time, and the Add Nozzle to Library is normally a once only command, so I'm wondering why you need to be able to repeat the tasks via a script, other than possibly loading individual nozzle rif files more quickly.

David
    IP

Thank you. The pattern error seems to have cleared itself after a Painter reset. As for why I am doing this - I have a commercial pack of 1500 nozzles in rif format. No thumbnail available. I want them organized in a convenient series of libraries.

Attempting to run the script while a different nozzle library is open, the script always refers to Assorted Nozzles.nozzles although I am in Gary.nozzles. (I just reset Painter). Is that normal?
    Open Default Library, manually I can make and move nozzle to new library.

The script cannot find the nozzle rif file called for, although it is in the directory the script is running from. (Tried running twice, with each nozzle library open in Painter).

It can see the file (load_nozzle "SNSN_009.RIF" is ok) BUT nozzle_change "Assorted Nozzles.nozzles" "SNSN_009.RIF" generates an error that the script cannot find the file.

Why does it work manually but not from script?

Would I be correct in observing that the script process in Corel Painter is buggy?

Is there another way to generate previews icons of 1500 rif files that can be viewed a screenful at a time (not one at a time as in the preview when loading a nozzle)?
    Last edited by GPainter; 31 July 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    IP

Scripting functionality has traditionally taken the back burner during new Painter version development, simply because not enough people use/ require the feature. This means that script functionality gets broken or is not updated to make new features in the application recordable. Also, the further scripting is broken, the fewer people use the feature (because it is broken).

If it is the Graphic Xtras nozzles you have, there is a pdf thumbnail gallery on this page;

http://www.graphicxtras.com/products/pntnozz.htm

Before you add nozzle rif files to form custom libraries, there was (and perhaps still is) an issue with blurring of the resulting sprayed imagery, so you may want to do a test first;

http://www.gardenhose.com/P6Fix.htm

Sorry that I cannot guide you to a more positive outcome, unless the pdf thumbnails are what you are looking for.

David
    IP

Thank you David. I will refer to the galleries you mentioned in lieu of creating my own libraries, with another thanks for pointing out nozzle library issues.

Its a shame Corel product usability, polish and stability are still so far behind...the other big name. Still, Painter is a super product and I am having a blast learning it. Thanks again!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by GPainter View Post
    Thank you David. I will refer to the galleries you mentioned in lieu of creating my own libraries, with another thanks for pointing out nozzle library issues.

Its a shame Corel product usability, polish and stability are still so far behind...the other big name. Still, Painter is a super product and I am having a blast learning it. Thanks again!
    Yes, I have a love hate relationship with the application, and came up with my own quotation;

"Painter is the buggiest software I have ever had the pleasure to use"

David
    IP