Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Nav bar problems with colors and text

Hello,

I hope I'm posting the right place else please correct me.

I'm having problems with the MouseOff and MouseOver layer in the NavBar. I want a Nav Bar with MouseOff light blue background with dark HTMLText and MouseOver with dark blue background and white HTMLText.

But when I try to change the colors in Nav Bar from the designs gallery I get either a dark blue or light blue Nav Bar on both the MouseOff or the MouseOver layer. Also I cannot add HTMLText to the MouseOver layer. What am I doing wrong?

I have a attached a file showing what I want.

I hope somebody can help me.

Kind regards.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Nav bar problems with colors and text

Hi danni and welcome to talkgraphics. You are posting in the right place.

The problem you are having is that on your MouseOver layer you have the button background and the text set to the same color. That is why when you mouse over it, you get the text looks like it disappears.

There may be other ways but this is how I would fix your problem using XWD6. (In Xara Designer Pro this is alot easier as you can see the individual items in the layer gallery, but as you don't have it...)

Using the MouseOff example...
    Double click your navbar to open up the navigation bar properties screen.
    In the bottom left hand corner click the button Ungroup to edit graphics button.
    Drag select the buttons 2 and 3 and just delete them (we will get them back later).
    Click on Button 1 and press Ctrl+Alt+U to Un-soft group the buttons.
    In the Layer and Page Gallery make your MouseOver layer visible.
    Right now you have both the MouseOff and the MouseOver layer selected, so click off of the button (anywhere on the page) and then click on the button again to select just he MouseOver layer. In the info bar in the bottom left corner of the screen you should see something like '1 group on layer MouseOver'.
    Delete this by pressing ctrl+X as we will recreate it.
    Now you have your button as you like it on the MouseOff state but no MouseOver state. To create this click on your MouseOff button and press Ctrl+C to copy it.
    Then in the Layer and Page gallery, select your MouseOver layer (making sure it is visible and unlocked), and press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste in place.
    Now you have a button on each layer that looks exactly the same, but you want the to look different.
    You should still have the MouseOver group selected.
    I like to move it over so that I can select the different layers easier. So hold down Shift and press the right arrow a few times until you see the two buttons.
    Now press Ctrl+U to ungroup the button. (Don't worry about what happens to the text)
    Now as you have both the background and the text selected and you only want to change one at a time, unslect them by clicking anywhere on the page.
    Now select the text and make it a white color (don't worry when it doesn't change as the program is treating it as linked text for now)
    Now select the background and set it to your dark blue color.
    Drag select the text and the background and press Ctrl+G
    You now have your MouseOver button looking like you want it (Yea!)
    Now hold down the Shift key and press the left arrow button a few times until your MouseOver and MouseOff buttons line up again.
    Once they do, Drag select around your button to select both layers and press Ctrl+Alt+G to reapply the soft group.
    Then press the button for 'Create Navigation bar'
    Add as many buttons as you want and make the selections for the type of nav bar that you want etc.

Let me know if you have any issues with it and I will try to walk you through.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your kind help.

I'm still doing something wrong. Now I have the button in my prefered colors but the MouseOff text looks very blurred and I can't make a Nav bar from the button (see attached).

What am I doing wrong now? :-)

Kind regards
    Dan

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Danni,

I have to go catch a plane so I don't have time to explain right now. Part of the problem is that you have two lines of text on each layer, the text has outlines and some of the text is html (and so uses the link colors) and some isn't. Here is an example of how to do it. Hopefully the moderators won't come down on me too hard. We aren't supposed to do things for you.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    Hi Danni,

I have to go catch a plane so I don't have time to explain right now. Part of the problem is that you have two lines of text on each layer, the text has outlines and some of the text is html (and so uses the link colors) and some isn't. Here is an example of how to do it. Hopefully the moderators won't come down on me too hard. We aren't supposed to do things for you.

Eric
    P.S. I will try to get on later and go through what you need to do to get this right in the future.
    My Club. My Album.

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your help. It was ecxactly what I wanted. There is only one thing I can't work out. I want both the text in the MouseOff and MouseOver layer to be HTMLText. I can figure it out in the MouseOff layer but even though I change the settings in the Website tab in Web Properties I can't get it to show white HTMLtext in the MouseOff layer. It keeps on showing blue text when I change it to HTMLText.

I'm looking forward to learn more.

Best regards
    Danni