Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why Is Layer Locked?

I need help figuring out the correct process for moving objects between layers. Too often I receive an error message indicating that I cannot edit the mouse over layer - or move an object to it - even though I have made it selectable and visible and de-selected and locked the other layers.

For example, I am creating an image based navigation process whereby I've created the images on the mouse off layer. When attempting to then copy one or more of those objects to the mouse over layer (paste in place in order to edit their color in that layer), I am prevented from doing that. Why?

In another example, I have created a series of popup layers on a given page, and when I try to copy objects (such as a rectangle in place or text) from one layer to another, I cannot. The message says I should use the Page and Layer Gallery to see where the problem -- which of course I always have open.

Appreciate any practical help on proper usage between layers.

Default Re: Why Is Layer Locked?

Hi hardot,

Could we start with knowing which software you are using please?
    Web Designer (version 5 or 6) or Xtreme 5 / Designer Pro 6?

Sorry....WD6.

Resolved this issue. Turns out that in addition to hiding and locking every layer other than the one you are working with, and in addition to making the one you are working with visible and unlocked, you also have to specifically select the layer you are working with (the one you wish to edit) by clicking it.

We always like it when members do our work for us .

Glad you figured it out.