Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Optimising png output.

Is there any way to setup Web Designer's export so that png's are exported as 16 and 256 colour versions. I recently finished a site and then by going back and reexporting the graphics cut the site size by 70 percent. Jpeg compression can be set in webproperties but where do I set png compression?
    Is it something I can do in Designer Pro?

Default Re: Optimising png output.

What type/style of graphic are you re-exporting to cut down PNG size by 70% ?

Xara uses automatic zip compression of PNG and generally they are excellent for web purposes unless you are using PNG for photographs which would be wrong.

You can force JPG export for any image by using the name 'JPEG' for the image.
    (right-click image>>names)

Right click on the photo then select Optimize Photo. Select PNG then Quality: 256 colors.

I do not think there is a way to optimize to 16 colors unless you first create a 16-color bitmap copy which is not possible in Web Designer but is possible in Designer or Xtreme.

Thanks, that works for images but the output in question was a group, a button which includes a small photo. Optimize image is (understandably) greyed out I achieved the compression by manually exporting the groups as 256 colour pngs, and exporting a couple of flat design pngs as 16 colour pngs.
    Do I need to export the group as an image and then reimport it?
    Does an imported 16 colour png automatically export as a 16 colour png?
    Thanks
    John