Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opera Browser

Default Opera Browser

I was just sent a Opera screen copy of a website we created with XD. All the text is pushed into 4 columns of overlapping letters and digits and unreadable. Is anyone else having problems with Opera viewing XD sites? Looks ok on IE and Firefox. Never liked Opera so I didn't check view on it, but it apparently is gaining in popularity. Of course a new competitor is making an issue out of it with my clients.

Default Re: Opera Browser

Please provide a link to the site.

It is possible who ever sent you the screen image of the site may have increased the font size which caused the overlapping you mention.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'm using Opera as a main browser personally so the code generated by XWD is probably more compatible with Opera then any other browser.
    One question though, what was the size of the font used for the text in question?
    John.

We used Arial 14px

We have text blocks with months and dates for various newspaper editions:
    i.e.
    January 2 , 9 , 16 , 23 , 30
    February 6 , 13 , 20 , 27
    etc.

Each date is a link to a special reader page for the each newspaper issue. The screen shot that was sent to us shows something that looks like single number/letter columns of single letters and numbers on top of each other, 4 columns of 1 letter/number on top of each other... no overlapping into a second digit.

I'm always concerned when I have to upload the entire site every week just to add another date to the list. Too many shots at glitching.

I would send you the URL for checking with Opera but right now the entire hosting network at IPower is kaput and it doesn't look good. Can't even reach them by phone at this moment. if they should get it fixed it is: http://www.kernrivercourier.com and it's on the ISSUES link. Direct: http://www.kernrivercourier.com/issues.htm
    Last edited by mludiker; 15 June 2009 at 08:12 PM.

14px should work fine.
    Opera has numerous user view styles which completely reorganize page layout when used. Perhaps your visitor is using one of them?
    John.

I hope so. The reports came to my client from a subscriber and then a competitor. I would love to nail them both if that was the case.

Just to help reassure you. I test all XWD pages in Chrome/Safari/FF/IE and Opera.
    As John say's, Opera is the least likely to screw up the HTML rendering.

Thanks ALL! I'll just have to wait till IPower puts all my client sites back in business to work on it. Appreciate the input.

This was the only site that was completely done with XD so I can always rebuild with the usual html programming I've used since '95. I've been using notepad for so long that I know what to do when there's a problem. The view of the entire .web section is clear but if I open each individual page to work on it, it's cluttered with stacked graphics and displaced text. Hope I can figure out a workaround to solve that. I like XD but I'm tight on learning curves with my backlog. If you should eventually see the link above would appreciate further comment. Thanks again.

mludiker

Tested at 22.34hrs

Works fine with the latest versions of Opera, FF, IE, Safari and Chrome.

Carbon copies

Drwyd

Edit: All browsers zoom/resize without fault except Safari
    Last edited by Drwyd; 15 June 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Appreciate the followup check Drwyd, and thanks to all. I downloaded Opera and everything checked out. Was able to silence the complaints by proving one was a false report and the other's Opera settings were 'somehow' incorrect (maybe a joint venture). Your gracious input allowed be to validate there was no error. Appreciate the quick help as timing of all kinds of Internet issues is coming down on top of each other...almost like it's choreographed. Have another question but I'll open a separate thread. Take care.