Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MS Office 2007 Word .ics calendar files

I am building a web site for my church. One of the links will be to a calendar. The office staff create and maintain the monthly calendar with Word 2007. I am told that Word 2007 can be set up to automatically upload .ics calendar files any time a change is made to the file. Is there a way I can link to this .ics file and display it on my web page built using DP6? I hope my question makes sense. Peter

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: MS Office 2007 Word .ics calendar files

I'm not sure if you can do that or not. If you can display the calendar as a web page then yes it is definitely possible to display a web page within a Xara website using an iframe.

Something else for you to consider (also using an iframe) is using an online calendar like Google Calendar. These are very easy to use, can be edited by multiple people if you so wish and you can even have multiple calendars grouped together all accessible at the same place. (i.e. Main congregation calendar, youth group calendar, birthdays and anniversary calendar, etc.) One of the nice features of this, is if you give an address of an event, it links that address to Google maps. I find it very handy for this type of thing.

Just a thought.

Eric

BTW...this is probably the wrong forum for this question.
    Last edited by bcire68; 22 July 2010 at 08:32 AM.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hi Peter,

The .ics file format isn't one that is designed to be displayed directly within a web page. The file is actually plain text but contains only availability information, not an actual calendar.

The format was created by the Internet Engineering Task Force for use with email clients.

BTW I moved your thread to the Talk Web forums.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Google Calendar would be an easy replacement as mentioned above.

Another option that I recently used on a Xara page that has worked out well was easy php calendar (http://easyphpcalendar.com/). The scripting and such are more difficult that a straight up Google calendar, but once you get it working, it's really pretty cool - allowing for popup events, decent editors for the end user to make new entries, etc. Unfortunately it's not free, but it's pretty cheap and there is a demo to run on your own private server to test the setup and functions with.

Hope this helps.