Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Please can we have XAML export

The last time we tried to re-raise this in the main forum, we were told to post here - I thought I'd wait in optimism for 6 to get XAML export, but it didn't...

So, can I repeat the request for XAML export from Xara, please? I know that pre-4, this was something Charles could see the value in, but maybe the focus is elsewhere now and we'll never get it. That's a shame, because at least some of the groundwork may have been done in the XPS export.

I really, really don't want to have to learn AI, please!

Thumbs up Re: Please can we have XAML export

+1 for this, and I'll give you a justification too:

If you're a coder working with WPF/Silverlight you have a few options at the moment for creating vector elements and none of them are pretty:

1) Expression Design. UI wise, it's not great but it gets the job done as long as you only want to do something simple.
    2) Expression Blend - See point 1.
    3) Inkscape. Makes the Expression series look trivially simple to use. Has the (only) advantage of being free.
    4) AI. I'm not even going there. If you're a graphic designer then investing the time to learn it might be worthwhile but an awful lot of the people working with XAML are just coders trying to get a job done.

Usability is the point - Xara is the only graphic design tool I've ever been able to pick up and produce something halfway decent with. The output of that tool is useful to my job (I'm a coder, not an artist), but it's only one small part of my job so it's just not worth me investing time/effort/money into learning a complex graphic design tool like AI.

You'd make a lot of developers very happy if you gave them a decent alternative!

Marc.

Default Re: Please can we have XAML export

XAML export would be a welcome feature.

I would hazard a guess that until an extremely knowledgable XAML expert joins the Xara development team we may be waiting a long time for this feature. This isn't to say the existing developers are not capable, just that they are working hard at their current project objectives.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill,

Charles Moir 3 years ago answered they more or less already support XAML due to XPS support.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...highlight=xaml

Juergen

Hi Juergen,

Yes I remember that but XPS and XAML are about alike as WordPerfect and Microsoft Word.

In other words, not much alike at all.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by juergen View Post
    Bill,

Charles Moir 3 years ago answered they more or less already support XAML due to XPS support.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...highlight=xaml
    I don't read that post as meaning 'we already support it so we're not doing any more', I read it as 'we're going to add XAML export and we already understand it because we did XPS'

Sadly it hasn't happened (yet), and Magix has happened in between then and now, so priorities may be elsewhere.

Update - here's another link to a 'Charles post', from the old days...

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...466#post216466
    Last edited by willdean; 03 September 2010 at 11:07 AM.