Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down What is the update policy of XARA

We have purchased Xara web Designer pro 6 on January 24th
    It took more then a week to make it work, ( something going on with the registry not letting it write the install) we finally got it to work on Feb 2nd...

We then get news a few weeks later, that version 7 will come out soon. 49 days later, version 7 is out... NOW Xara want money for the update of course. Is this a new way to treat new customer.. Don't tell them the new version is coming out in a few week so we can charge them again? Or else they might wait and will not be able to charge them more money...

Is XARA is a bad investment as you will have to upgrade every 6 months?
    No wonder so many people pirate software with companies like this!

Avid gave us a 90 upgrade policy on their software... 60 days after we purchased a 900$ software, they upgraded us for free. I will buy again from them no problem!

Default Re: What is the update policy of XARA

Please contact http://support.xara.com with your question about upgrading.

The members here are not Xara staff and have no authority to respond to questions about upgrade policy.

It is just a coincidence that WD7 has been released so soon after you purchased the software. WD6 was released in March 2010 and WD7 in March of this year.

I have been using Xara software for more than a decade and have always received excellent service and upgrades.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Your experience of Xara is very limited, jaundiced it is true, but nevertheless very limited. Many of the pros on here have been using Xara products since before time began and I can assure you that Xara are an avid believer in customer service. "avid", get it?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I have to agree with the penguin. Most of us have been using Xara since well before Corel Corp. tried to put them out of business.

As a small company, the only way Xara can be competitive is to update its products frequently and to add new features. And if you are a professional, or even an enthusiast, the prices Xara charges are very modest.

And while I agree that it can be a pisser when you buy a product only to find that you were at the tail end and the new product is just being released, Xara does have good upgrade prices and you really get a lot of product for your money when compared to many other "industry standard" products. And for $900 I bet you could upgrade for a decade or more with Xara products.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwizca View Post
    It took more then a week to make it work, ( something going on with the registry not letting it write the install) we finally got it to work on Feb 2nd...
    This is a Windows problem and nothing to do with Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwizca View Post
    No wonder so many people pirate software with companies like this!
    Oddly enough you can drift just about anywhere and find hacked copies of Adobe this, Adobe that, but I've rarely if ever seen fully hacked Xara products available for download. This is in no small part due to their reasonable pricing, their efficient and personal technical and after-sales support and a vibrant and close-kint first aid community.

You've had an unfortunate experience. If you let this jaundice your view of Xara for a product that costs less than 100€ then you need to step back and have a long, slow beer.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.