Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Cartoon Dog

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Cartoon Dog

I've been looking at the how to draw cartoon websites and even bought a book. This isn't a trace but it isn't an original creation either. I followed the directions on how to draw this and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm really starting to get the way it works. Movement lines, rough shapes and then refined drawings, layer on top of layer. I just don't get how you start from scratch. But then maybe that is being naive on my part and people who do this all the time aren't starting from scratch but are pulling from loads of experience. It's something to think about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	74264  
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Default Re: Cartoon Dog

Nice one.

Your probably about like me... you can do it if you see it then make your own version. But when it come to getting something out of your brain... it just does not translate well onto the screen or paper.

I have the Bruce Blitz Cartooning book for ideas. Works to a point but I dont want my character to look like his.

I'm no original artist when it comes to producing tons of stuff but over the many years I have enjoyed drawing stuff I have seen.

I have done some original art and like anything worthwhile, it's hard work.

But, you don't always have to come up with something original to have fun.

Great drawing, by the way!

Now go do another one!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    '.. people who do this all the time aren't starting from scratch but are pulling from loads of experience..
    well yes.. but we all start from somewhere

one thing I will say - don't be dazzled by something you see in your head that you can't get down on paper - cart before horse

one reason for the 'oh I can't draw' is getting terribly frustrated because of not being able to draw to order, upfront

just as drawings usually are built up in stages, so is the learning process

its like music - you get there faster if you master the piano keyboard first and don't get sidetracked into trying to play tunes too soon

try doing a series of story boards - if you can't write nick a favorite story, fairy tale, something you read in a magazine - anything - just do it in motion/action lines and block shapes, get a real feel for dynamics - experiment with the options

later when you are ready to flesh it out with detail, it will come alive

oh - and do your research, if you want to draw animals learn anatomy, buildings architecture - you don't need to go overboard with this but you need the basics

end of polemic - back to you
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...