Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Insert Blog in XPro6 Website

I've been using Xara products for some time. I'm new to creating a Blog.

Can I insert a Blog into a Xara website?

If so, can the customer post updates to the Blog?

Essentially, I'm looking to place a Blog in a Xara website. Then the customer would like to update the Blog, not having to use Xara.

It seems I'm getting good information in my research, but don't quite have it. I just thought I'd ask for ideas here.

Thanks

Default Re: Insert Blog in XPro6 Website

The basic honest answer is 'no' - Web Designer or Designer Pro are not blog creators and do not have any facility to write new content to a database from a web interface allowing your client to add/update.

However, there are ways to emulate a blog - though it takes some setting up and explaining/training for your client.

Embedding an updatable google doc

Personally (although I created the above for the exercise) I'd not bother.
    There are much better and more convenient blogging systems.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I don't want to keep spinning my wheels if this won't work.

Would you then recommend I create a blog and then link to the blog from the website I'm creating?

Again, many thanks.

If that suits your client, then I'd say it's a win/win scenario

Take a look at the WordPress blog that I have inserted into an I-Frame on my web site at http://rhettroweb.com. It can definitely be done. I've also done it here: http://finest97.com. Both accomplished with the I-Frame placeholder.

Wow, that seems to be a simple solution, and if you weren't told you wouldn't really know how it was done from looking at the page.

Nice site(s) BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelpusher View Post
    Take a look at the WordPress blog that I have inserted into an I-Frame on my web site at http://rhettroweb.com. It can definitely be done. I've also done it here: http://finest97.com. Both accomplished with the I-Frame placeholder.
    Wow, that does look fantastic. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Before I posted my question here, I was searching this forum. It seems I saw a thread with a little direction on how to do this. By chance, did you post details on how you did this?

I'm going to get work creating the WordPress Blog, and see how I do. It seems straightforward, using I-Frame. Just thought I'd see if there is already a thread here that discusses details.

Many thanks for your post. It's very much appreciated.

*Edit: Using your suggested method, can my customer update the WP Blog, without using Xara?
    Last edited by hotrodsue; 13 July 2010 at 01:37 PM.

I've also found the i-frame placeholder to be the best way to deal with a Blog inside of a Xara site, but it does have its shortcomings, and unfortunately for a lot of people I run into, the functionality that is lost is one of the reasons they want a Blog to start with.

RSS feeds and direct links that are generated from the Blog itself will not come up in your i-frame - instead they will just open the mostly unstyled blog on its own. In other words, when lonked directly, only the contents of the iframe will show, not the page itself and the iframe in its proper context.

For the purpose of just updating the site themselves, it works fine, but if they want the automatic updates and linkability, you will need to find another option.

I did another one where I basically made the whole Wordpress site have the banner of the main site with some links back to the main site content (in not-as-fancy-a-way as the site itself) from the Blog. This worked out well for his needs.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, but I do not have the details as to how it was done posted here. What I actually did was place my blog in an I-Frame and designed the Wordpress blog with no links as I knew that I would not be needing them. For the Finest97 site, I designed the Wordpress blog to match the main web site and then placed it in a folder on the server called Blog. The index.php for the blog is called from the link on the main web site. By doing this, the client has full control over the information placed in their blog and I never have to worry about updating it myself. Visitors can get back to the main web site from a link placed in the blog links.

Thanks for the tips on how you accomplished this on both of your sites.

God bless,

Susan