Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XWD Feature Req. - Preloader, progress bar

Would it not be advantageous to Xara users for the company to provide a few user-configurable preloaders with its web creation software?

Surely I can't be the only one who has wondered about this but I cannot find anything in the Xara web designer forums or XWD6 Help File that discuss pre-loaders. I've looked under loader, preloader, progress bar and in the Help section specifically dealing with the creation of Flash animation.

In reading the forums, I note that lots of people are adding additional scripting into Xara web design program html placeholders. They are also added Flash and having the programs call (I don't know the proper word) external widgets. Logic tells me that these additions must be slowing down the loading of their websites to some degree. I know that when I change my XWD6 website on the Magix server and then immediately go look at the changes on-line to see how the site looks, lots of images and features are missing and don't appear until some time has passed.

Some things I've wondered about:
    1. How does one test their web site to know if they need a pre-loader?
    2. Are some web site creators using pre-loaders when pre-loaders aren't really necessary? As attention getters rather than timers?
    3. How would one add a pre-loader to a completed XWD6 website after the fact?
    4. If, for example, I were to create a simple Flash pre-loader of my own design in Xara Xtreme 4 or SwishMiniMax3, which I already own, how would I add myflashpreloader.html and myflashpreloader.swf to mywebsite.html or mywebsite.web?

I have done up three quickie examples of pre-loaders to show what I have in mind. They are not perfect. The entire screen should disappear when 100% is reached.

1. bearwifme.swf - Not user configurable in any way. User just drags one of several stock pre-loaders provided by Xara onto the first page from the XWD Designs Gallery.
    2. one_hamster.swf - User can add one small static image and several lines of static text of their own choosing. User can increase/decrease speed of progress bar. User can perhaps change other parameters such as font color.
    3. snack.swf - User can add one static image (.jpg, gif, png) or one swf file (animation). User can increase/decrease speed of progress bar. Text is a scrolling marquee. Speed of text can be increased or decreased. Color of text can be changed.

Please see my original comments here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=46611

DogThiefGuy
    http://dogthief.magix.net/public/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP