Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corel Knockout 2 in Xara

Does anybody know if Corel Knockout 2 is as good as that masking tool in CS5?, and also if the plugin would work in Xara. It is a lot cheaper than Photoshop.

Alan

Default Re: Corel Knockout 2 in Xara

Post moved to new thread: Xara Forums > Talk Graphics > Xtreme Plugins

Hi Alan,

I don't think any Corel plugins will work with Xara Xtreme/Designer Pro.

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering because the XDP6 help says that many Adobe Photoshop plug-ins will work, and the Corel Knockout site says that it is Photoshop compatible.

Problem is there doesn't seem to be a demo version and US99 is a bit much for something that may not work.

Plugins and filters can become a bit confusing, though I have never used Corel Knockout my senses tell me that it would be a plugin application rather than a plugin filter, this means that it would only be accessible from the File>>Automate menu in Photoshop (such as AlienSkin Blowup and Genuine Fractals are).
    These are not compatible with Xara Xtreme or Xara Designer Pro

Hi

here's an alternative that does work with xtreme 5 [not yet tried it with designer 6]

there is a 10 day trial

http://akvis.com/en/smartmask/

I seem to remember there were problems with knockout and xtreme - but never tried knockout 2
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 July 2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add link
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have Knockout 2 but I can't even get it to show in Xara so I've never bothered. If i can get it to show up i'll test it in wdp6

Didnt try that with current version but Knockout2 worked with last version of XaraX on my pc.
    If I find the old CD I install and try again.

Juergen

I remember using KO form Xara. I don't remember the version. I saw my disk the other day, but I have Smart Mask and would rather use it. KO requires marking a selection as you would in PhotoShop. I spent a lot of time in corrections. The edges were never clean. You could use it to erase sort of. Marking in Smart Mask is much easier for me. More like using a felt pen. Trial versions are available. I think KO was only acquired by Corel like a lot of other programs.

Rich

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

My favourite way to knock out a background is to simply use the shape editor tool and draw a mask then slice. With a bit of practice it's easier and I get better results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks to everybody for all of the suggestions and advice. I think that as I do not need to do this very often, I should probably go with angelize's solution, much cheaper too