Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I don't recall seeing this interesting technique discussed before. It further extends the flexibility of xara's already impressive bevel tool.

The word "Xara" in the image below features two distinct fills and yet it was generated from a single text object with a bevel and a drop shadow applied. The two fills are one that looks like stone and the other is the blue sticks pattern.

Previously I had made a transparent png bitmap of the blue sticks. They had been a blend on a curve. I right-clicked the blend and selected "make a bitmap copy" which dropped a transparent png bitmap copy on the drawing.

The text shape was filled with the stone fill, beveled and shadowed. The inside bevel I applied was as large as possible. I observed that the beveled shape is comprised of two objects that can be selected independantly - the "bevel" and the "text object". I noted that each had the same bitmap fill (the stone pattern). By playing around with these fills I noticed that if the bevel fill is switched to a transparent bitmap, like the sticks png, both it and the text object's fill display at the same time.

I suspect this technique could have practical uses beyond doing funky "xara" images like my example. If that's all it is good for, I'm okay with that too.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sticks.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	18991  

I don't recall seeing this interesting technique discussed before. It further extends the flexibility of xara's already impressive bevel tool.

The word "Xara" in the image below features two distinct fills and yet it was generated from a single text object with a bevel and a drop shadow applied. The two fills are one that looks like stone and the other is the blue sticks pattern.

Previously I had made a transparent png bitmap of the blue sticks. They had been a blend on a curve. I right-clicked the blend and selected "make a bitmap copy" which dropped a transparent png bitmap copy on the drawing.

The text shape was filled with the stone fill, beveled and shadowed. The inside bevel I applied was as large as possible. I observed that the beveled shape is comprised of two objects that can be selected independantly - the "bevel" and the "text object". I noted that each had the same bitmap fill (the stone pattern). By playing around with these fills I noticed that if the bevel fill is switched to a transparent bitmap, like the sticks png, both it and the text object's fill display at the same time.

I suspect this technique could have practical uses beyond doing funky "xara" images like my example. If that's all it is good for, I'm okay with that too.

Regards, Ross

Here's another example. For this one I drew a white filled square with no line colour. The square was given 100% transparency and then a transparent bitmap copy was made. That invisible bitmap was used as the fill for a text object that was beveled. This makes the bevel transparent such that you can see anything behind it. It works well over built-up backgrounds for an embossed or carved look and means that the bevel can be moved, rotated or resized without any fill conflicts. For this example I built up a background texture intended to look like lead or zinc sheeting.

Regards, Ross

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	856  

Actually it kind-a looks like a rainstorm eh?

Regards, Ross

May be it is my English But Ross i did not understand in your descriptions above on how did you accomplish this neat feature of Xarax
    Can you explain more, sorry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

.... I'm not sure how you did it either, I'm getting tired now but I will look at it later as it's such a great effect.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sounds like a mini-tutorial is needed. I can get to that later.

I re-read my first post and the description of how to do it seems correct although I suppose I could elaborate on a few points. The important point is that anything you bevel is comprised of the bevel itself and the original shape/object. The fills of those two things can be different bitmaps. If the "bevel" bitmap is a transparent png, you will see what of it that was not transparent plus the bitmap fill of the original shape.

In the second example there is only one bitmap fill used. That bitmap is completely clear - it is totally transparent. When that bitmap is used whatever is behind the bevel shows through it.

Regards, Ross

Hi! The technique you are talking about is similar to how I made the 'Bevel Garden' image that I posted in the Bevel Mania thread. I layered marble bitmap fills with adjusted transparencies over solid bevels with drop shadows. Each flower petal has about 4-6 layers. Then I created a bitmap copy of the grouped flowers and made it into a bump map with about 80% transparency...

-Michelle

Ross

Your second example (or maybe it was your third) looks like a piece of quilted material. Perhaps you could create a stitching brush and finish the effect?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Gary - That built-up texture in the second image does look kind of silky - it has the look of virgin rayon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm very proud of that zinc fabric rainstorm! I'm currently at work so I can't modify the image to show the true significance of the transparent png technique. That same bevel could be put over any other background for totally different effect. (That particular lettering looks really good over a wood texture bitmap background). I've played with modifying the bevel - instant gel effects are possible.

When I get home tonight (late [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ) I will post a fully transparent bitmap for those who have trouble understanding what I'm talking about. Heck this is almost as good as the clear-dot-gif trick in HTML!

Regards, Ross