Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Workspaces

xdp6 Workspaces

What is really missing for me in the Xara programs is the ability to create and save workspaces. I work on a dual monitor system and I like to keep my Design Gallery, Line gallery, etc. on my second monitor to free up my main work area, but also to have instant access to those items when needed. The problem is that I can arrange everything the way that I like it, but every time I close the program and reopen later, everything has to be set up again. I have to constantly move and re-size and it is a major time waster.

Please Xara, give me workspaces that can be named and saved. I want my program set up once and do not want to redo every time I need to work.

Thank you Thank you

Default Re: Workspaces

+1

adding: remembering the views of the document that were open
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Agreed. I've asked for saved workspaces a number of times (although not in a while, I think ).

We don't yet do workspaces but the windows do retain their positions correctly on multiple monitors.

The program saves all the window positions when it quits and picks those saved position up again on next restarts. So, are you closing and opening the program correctly, PixelPusher? Or have you got some registry filter that might be preventing the program form saving the window positions?

Phil

Hi Phil

if I have two views of the same document open [on one monitor] it does not restore both

am I right in thinking that would still be the case for multiple monitors?

thanks

steve
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The program NEVER retains my window positions or sizes. I exit the program by using the x in the corner of the screen after saving my work. Should I be closing the program in another fashion? Also, I'm not using any registry filters of any sort that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    We don't yet do workspaces but the windows do retain their positions correctly on multiple monitors.
    Agreed, I can confirm this on my dual monitor setup.
    However although the opened gallery window positions are retained when you re launch the program, the gallery window sizes are not and never have been in all versions I have.
    This is the same whether galleries are docked or floating.

xdp6 Re: Workspaces

EXACTLY! That is why the program needs to be revised to include workspaces that will stay in place from open/close/open operations every day!

Lightbulb Re: Workspaces

+1

And: The function to arrange windows annoys me for years now. Okay, just my two cents, but wouldn't it be more practical, if two or three windows tiled the available space vertically, not horizontally. This makes even more sense, when you have in mind, that monitors nowadays tend to be widescreen.

bye:maak.

Yep, I've wanted vertical tiling for years. Horizontal tiling wasn't useful when I was on a single CRT, much less now that I'm using dual widescreen displays.