Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Can't install latest V of XDP6

I downloaded the latest version of XDP6 to get the latest changes. When installing the dialog said that I needed to uninstall the current version. Using any of my uninstallers I could not uninstall. So I deleted the whole directory leaving behind the fragments but when I go to install the latest a dialog says that it is still installed so I am stuck at that point.

Help! what do I do now?
    IP

Default Re: Can't install latest V of XDP6

Is one of the Uninstallers you tried 'Revo' ?
    This often does a great job of removing the left-overs of ill removed applications.

Otherwise personally I would remove the Xara XtremePro 6 registry tree and then try the update installer.

Someone from Xara may advise further.
    Good luck.
    IP

Just to confirm Sledger's advice with my experience of updating Xara Designer 6. I did the following:
    1) Uninstalled Designer 6.1.0... using Revo Uninstaller. Using the Revo defaults, the application uninstaller (in this case Xara Designer) is run automatically first, then it trawls the registry for leftover entries, and then your folders for leftover files. In my case, I selected all the registry entries and files offered and removed them all with no ill effects. But, you might like to browse them first. I have been using Revo for years, and have never known it damage my system by removing stuff needed by something else.
    2) I then ran Ccleaner to clear unwanted/orphaned files from my system and to remove invalid registry entries. This is not necessary, but it keeps things tidy and, again, I have never suffered damage from using this utility. Glary Utilities does a more complete job with the registry, but with more power comes more potential for disaster!
    3) Install Xara Designer 6.1.1.
    4) It works!

In your case, of course, you would have to reinstall Xara Designer 6.1.0.. before doing anything else, since you have deleted the folder.

BTW Revo Uninstaller, Ccleaner, and Glary Utilities are all free.

Good luck
    IP

Thanks all for the good advice.

I use Revo [for completeness] and also ZSoft uninstaller for speed and results. and I tried both after trying the add-remove uninstaller in Windows. None of these would remove XDP6 V6. They went through the motions but the program persisted.

So now I will try reinstalling the original version and and attempt removing again and if this fails I will try editing the registry with RegEdit. I've done this many times with no problems. One or the other should work. If not I'll wait for tech support.
    IP

We recommend using the uninstaller from within add/remove programs rather than a third party tool to uninstall the program.

For reinstallation problem, I'd recommend trying the following.

- uninstall the program from add/remove programs
    - manually delete installaton.ini, which is a configuration file that was created during the first installation procedure. You can find this file in the following location on your hard
    drive:

* under Windows Vista and Windows 7:
    C:\ProgramData\xara\[program name]\installation.ini

* under Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\xara\[program name]\installation.ini

Once you have located the "installation.ini" file, just delete it.

The location might differ depending on your choices during the installation process. E.g. the program might be on a different hard drive partition other than "C". In order to browse all of these system directories, you might also need to reconfigure your Windows Explorer to show invisible folders and files.

Following this, try re-installing the program

Thanks
    IP

John

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Thanks BB.
    IP