Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Web Designer 6 or Designer Pro 6

I have used Xara products for many years and have a box full of upgrades etc.

I have been impressed with Web Designer 6 and delight in using it, but I am not sure what to do about Designer Pro 6. Does this programme do all that Web Designer 6 can do? It appears to do an awful lot. Do I need both, or just the new Designer Pro 6?

It feels like Xara has produced two competing pieces of software, with the newly launched Designer Pro 6 outstripping the fairly recent Web Designer 6.

Can anyone out there throw any light on this before I spend yet more money on Xara software?

Ken Gaskell

Default Re: Web Designer 6 or Designer Pro 6

Ken

You might get a better response to your question if you post in the Xtreme/Designer or the Xtreme/Designer/Web Designer forums.

I do not have the ability to move threads or I would do this myself.

Please repost.

Thanks

Ken I have moved your thread.

Designer Pro 6 has all the web features of Web Designer 6, along with all the graphics features of Xtreme Pro 5 and some new features added.

The Web Designer software targets people interested mostly with creating web content.

The Designer Pro software is for the graphic artist that also creates web content.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill

Are you back on board?

Gary I've been lurking every day.

I don't post unless assistance is needed and other moderators do not have the access required. Like moving Ken's thread from the Announcements and Feedback forum.

Or, when my eidetic memory has some bit of information that may not be recalled by other members. I often joke about my poor memory, but there are times when a poor memory is more desirable than one that retains almost everything.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm glad to hear that you haven't gone forever Bill!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Bill,
    Hopefully you'll reconsider and come back as moderator. Egg too. Steve has also been missed but I understand he is just on holiday.

Yes, I noticed the term 'moderator' in your ID, good to see you Bill.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Hey Ken - there are a ton of features in Designer Pro 6 than there are in Webdesigner 6. While they tend towards creating graphics, drawing, etc, there are a lot of features that I use all the time in there.

Having both is not really necessary since DP6 has all the WD6 web stuff in it -and having all the features of both prgrams in one certainly cuts down on the the shuttling back and forth of things that you can't natively do in WD6.

As far as I know, these things aren't in the WD6 package (please correct where I miss here)

Blends, 3d extrusions, the new live line preview, the new solid shape drawing (?), plugins for images, bevels...customizable shortcuts, better pdf export (some issue with people REALLY into this, but great for most, I think), Pantone color pallettes...I know there are more, but these are a few that I use ALL the time.

The expanded object gallery is HUGE for me for keeping track of where stuff is in the layers. You can see down to the individual object rather than just the layer. So, you can see the composition of groups, more easily organize your graphics with click and drag right in the page and layer gallery, etc.

Hope that helps.

Hello Ken

If you plan mostly to do web design then Web Designer is what you want. If you want the whole enchilada, all the bells and whistles, then Designer Pro is what you want.

Both have the same website creation tools. But Designer Pro has more drawing tools, transparency options, photo editing tools and so forth. It costs a lot more as well. But you are getting a tremendous product for the money.