Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux WINE

Question Linux WINE

To the point; are there any other Linux users in Talk Graphics land, and if so, can we have out own little corner to talk WINE in?

I realise that Xara is designed for use on M$ operating systems, I've pretty much upgraded with the company from Artworks on the Archimedes during and my youthful venture into clip-art (with the vanguard graphics pack) through to Xtreme 5 running in VISTA 64bit.

These days I'm all about Open Source software, and while Inkscape is a damn good spin off from the Xara dev team's origianl genius, it's not Xara, and I want to keep the faith.

Xara Xtreme 5 works well through WINE (Windows comparability layer) on (Linux) Ubuntu Lucid Lynx.

The Photo & Graphic Designer demo I've installed and run through WINE runs with a few major glitches like the pop up menu icons flickering to the extent they are unusable, so I won't be in a hurry to upgrade.

Anyone else had better luck?

xdp6 Re: Linux WINE

Designer 6 works OK in Wine Ubuntu 10.04, it crashed a few times, Found a fix for MSXML 3.0 and 4.0 both installed helped a lot, I use Vmware and xp for real work and for playing around until its stable, XaraLinux works also wish it could be developed more

Default Re: Linux WINE

...and by 'OK' you mean how OK? Not perfect I guess, so where are the glitches with XD6 on latest Ubuntu? Fonts? Flickering? What features don't work at all?
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

I'm interested too - where are the MSXML fixes? - and what other specific dependancies did you need to dig out?

thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cool Re: Linux WINE

I perform necromancy on this long dead horse.

I never did get P&GD6 running through WINE on Ubuntu. I still can't witht he latest versions and with all the winetricks I can think of installed.
    Oddly enough the trail version runs perfectly well when installed right up to the point you register. On registration a launcher tool is installed that freezes the app on loading every time.

P&GD6 does work very well through virtualbox (see virtualbox.org) on Ubuntu 11.10. Since I've given all my hard drive space over to the Ubuntu operating system running a virtual install of VISTA though virtualbox is the only real solution to my Xara addiction.

Still, it is not ideal as you have to set up shared file space via a network location for the two operating systems to pass files to each other. Not a big problem but an in-convenience if you are specifically building SVG icons for linux apps.

My fondish wish is for Xara marketing to make a deal with Canonical (the suppliers of Ubuntu) to make their products available for purchase though Ubuntu's Software Centre - keeping their propriety code locked securely behind a limited access repository. It's time don't you think? Go and talk business - if it is pleasing for you to do so.

---
    The Order of Symbolic Measures -
    expressly forbids High Horses, Hobby Horses and Nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by quandry247 View Post
    Inkscape is a [...] spin off from the Xara dev team's origianl genius
    That's true? Source?

if you go to the inkscape site you will see that they state xara as being one of the programs inkscape is intended to be 'like'

and some of inkscape's UI implementations are indeed similar, and some of course, are not....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Seems like I misunderstood the word "genius" in this context. I was assuming that quandry247 is referring to a specific person.

could be...

there is a program that was developed by ex-employees of xara and it is here:

http://www.serif.com/free-graphic-design-software/

but it has no other connection AFAIK
    Nothing lasts forever...

Designer Pro 7 works OK-ish under Wine, but for one function; pressure sensitivity ... Somehow I can't get the Wine environment communiicate with the Wacom driver.

Oh, and for Serif Draw being developed by ex-Xaraians; that's totally new for me. There's a lot of rumour in these discussions (for example; have a quick time travel to 2002 by reading http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ead-is-it-true ) I'd rather would have some serious discussions based on facts and firm conceptions instead of suggestions and make believe.

As for Serif, they are in the market since 1987. By then Computer Concept was still dealing with Acorn ... But; if anyone can confirm with facts the suggestions made by "Handrawn" I'll concede
    Last edited by Michael; 07 December 2011 at 12:39 PM.