Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default background image entire screen

I know there was no way to do this in the last version but I've got the new one and I'm still exploring it.

Is there any way to do a background with a whole image or graphic like this or this?

I'm sort of hoping there's some way to do something like that. It would be great.

Default Re: background image entire screen

Iīm afraid itīs not. You can apply a tile to the background by default and with the tweaks provided by covoxer you can make an image tile in jut one direction. But nothing as much sophisticated as what we see in your examples.
    Nice ones by the way!

This is an area where Xara could improve a lot more..

Bitmap images can be set as a background via the bitmap gallery (The background colour needs to be set to transparent if I remember correctly).

See also http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...9&postcount=10

It works as long as there is a MouseOver layer.

Actually this is quite simple to do.

Please see:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...8&postcount=17

Demo site and file to dowload

Thumbs up Re: background image entire screen

WOW! Thanks for these replies. I'm going to give this a try today.

The examples Mpaige posted donīt make use of a tiled background.. I mean the left part of the background is different from the right part. I think itīs more complicated than the solutions you are pointing out. But i may be wrong.

The only trick on the first of the two is if you want the navigation to stick to the right side of the window the way it does. Otherwise, this is just a left-aligned (tweakset) site with a really wide background bitmap with no tiling, as it appears to me.

The second site has the site centered in the browser (normal for Xara) and is using a rather large graphic as the background of the body, which is then "repeat-x" (also do-able in Xara). The trick here was creating a graphic that could tile AND matched up with the background behind the banner graphic of the cartoon characters. That graphic ends right where the people do and the rest is the x-tile.

Both creative - both well-done, neither a problem for Xara.

Sorry to disagree but thereīs much more going there that it may look at first sight. Xara doesnīt have enought funcionality to create sites of that complexity. We can achieve a similar look at much.

For example:
    In the first, thereīs a ton on stuff hard to get done exactly in Xara starting from the not tiled background to the position where the page loads (have you seen the page loads to itīs middle area -you can scroll down as usual, but you can scroll up too!). Itīs simply too much for whatīs possible in Xara, as far as i know and tried until now. Overall the background alignement is the complicated part. It suffers from the same troubles as the ones i will describe for the second example (see below).

In the second example (the simplest) itīs not possible to get a sticky footer exactly aligned with the pasteboard background (in xara terminology). This is more tricky than it looks (aligning the three and ground on the page with the same ground height on the Xara pasteboard). And this breaks all the flow of the page background/pasteboard background. The floating menus at right are easy with covoxerīs tweaks.

The sample provided by Steve is pretty close in look but it hasnīt a sticky footer (which we can easily add too) but again the itīs not possible to match it with the pasteboard background. Besides the background used in Steveīs sample is tiled (repeated). That not happens in the samples given.
    Last edited by MEB; 01 July 2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: too much typos...

I believe the tiling is unavoidable due to the absolute positioning used by the export filter.

This background stuff i talked in the posts above was one of the first things iīve tried to get in Xara Designer PRO. Iīve done everything i could think of and didnīt get it to work. The examples posted in the first post show very well some of the limitations that Xara still have when dealing with backgounds.
    If someone has found a way to overcome those problems please post here. Maybe John (covoxer) knows a way to overcome those problems trough some tweaks...
    I for sure would love to know how to solve them...