Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

I saw on a site selling ready made websets, that they had hidden their source code. The webset you wanted to view popped up in a new browser window (no buttons on the top of the browser window etc, so you couldn't save the whole page plus right click disabled). The original page which had the link to the webset had the sourcecode hidden so that you couldn't get the file location for the webset.

This seems like a great idea to stop people from "stealing" your graphics. Does anyone know how it is done. I would like to try it on my site. And is it as effective as it seems to be or a waste of time? I ask this question as so many designers complain that their work is lifted right off their pages, and if there is something as seemingly effective as this, why aren't more designers using it? Or are they like me and are unsure of how it is done!?

Thanks

Dee:-)
    IP

Hi,

I saw on a site selling ready made websets, that they had hidden their source code. The webset you wanted to view popped up in a new browser window (no buttons on the top of the browser window etc, so you couldn't save the whole page plus right click disabled). The original page which had the link to the webset had the sourcecode hidden so that you couldn't get the file location for the webset.

This seems like a great idea to stop people from "stealing" your graphics. Does anyone know how it is done. I would like to try it on my site. And is it as effective as it seems to be or a waste of time? I ask this question as so many designers complain that their work is lifted right off their pages, and if there is something as seemingly effective as this, why aren't more designers using it? Or are they like me and are unsure of how it is done!?

Thanks

Dee:-)
    IP

There are always ways around that, ie...turning off javascript. Not to mention the unprofessional image you give yourself. Unless you wanna pay Digimark to track your images then you just gotta deal with it. But I highly suggest not doing it if you want to keep a repectable name for your self or business,

Matt
    IP

Hi Dee ...

This is done using javascript and as Matt suggestions there are ways around it. IE, for example can download the entire page structure regardless of the "view source" being disabled.

Where site ripoffs are concerned, they are a problem, no doubt, but you have some recourse at your disposal.

First, make sure that you have referer logs for all sites. This can be an indication that someone has more than a healthy interest in your site!

Second. Usually a swift "cease and desist" email, will make the offender take down their ripped off site.

Third. A short/sweet note from your lawyer is sure to get action. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Finally, never use anything on a site that you can't afford to have ripped off. I've found that taking the higher ground - ie. assuming folks will want it - is a much better, and less stressful way, of dealing with the problem.

Make that picture into a free wallpaper giveaway (with your URL placed tastefully in the corner, of course) and you'll get kudos and, possibly, business rather than screaming, "RIP OFF MY SITE, AND I'LL RIP OFF YOUR LEGS!!!!!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Dee, post the URL and I'll rip the source out for you.

There are a hundred ways to obfuscate source code, but nothing that can ever be secure. So it's best not even to bother, especially since things like removing context menus and navigation bars tend to annoy everyone.

First approach I'd take with the site you mention would be Ctrl-N, then View Source from the menu. But there are of course many others.
    IP

Hey Folks,
    Why does it look bad to want to protect your own work? We gotta pay the rent too.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com
    IP

Sharon, I don't think anyone is saying, "Hey, please, rip me off!" but using javascript to block source code isn't going to help, as has been mentioned here.

There are standard ways of protecting one's code/design ie.Copyright, watermarking images, reducing images etc. etc. But the web being what it is, that won't completely protect you.

My advice to clients (and web designers for that matter) has always been, if you don't want it stolen, don't put it on the web.

However, there are ways to make it work for you - got a great image that people will want? Add your URL to the bottom and give it to them. Reduce the quality or size of images that will make them virtually useless in any other capacity. Create a design that incorporates images in a way that makes them impossible to use unless the whole design is taken. And finally, keep a close eye on your referer logs to see where your traffic is coming from.

While "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" you don't have to be a marshmallow about it either - if someone does snag your design, make a scene, tell everyone you know, make'em squirm! The more newbie designers realize they can't "take", the better for everyone!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP