Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XWD vs new Designer Pro

I have been updating my Xara Xtreme to Xara Xtreme Pro right on up to XXP5 like many folks.
    Also have Xara's Web Design 5 and 6.
    I did the XWD6 upgrade just one month ago!

Lots of extra money to keep both product lines going on my computer.
    If I upgrade to Designer Pro 6, I will be paying twice to get the same new features that were added to XWD6 since they are now fully integrated into Design Pro.

Do I even need to consider upgrading the XWD line anymore since I can do all that it offers in the other?
    Is there expectation that XWD will have different features going forward?
    Last edited by samrc; 28 June 2010 at 12:13 AM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: XWD vs new Designer Pro

Hello Samantha,
    I´m not sure if i understood your question correctly.
    Seems you actually own Xara Xtreme PRO 5 and Xara Web Designer 6 (besides some old versions).

If you upgrade to Xara Designer Pro you don´t need to keep updating Xara Web Designer anymore because Xara Designer Pro contains everything from Xara Web Designer plus Xara Graphic & Photo Designer plus some more additional professional features (Pantone, support for multicore processors etc). From what i know the Professional product line will always contain all features from both the Web and Graphic & Photo product lines (plus some additional stuff for pros).

Hope this answers to your question.

Miguel B.

Samantha,

See this post by Kate Moir.

The important line being .... but ultimately Pro is the top of the range and it has everything.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

From what i know the Professional product line will always contain all features from both the Web and Graphic & Photo product lines (plus some additional stuff for pros).
    The important line being .... but ultimately Pro is the top of the range and it has everything.
    Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

At the time XWD came out I was using XXP4.
    I originally thought Xara was developing two separate lines (a web design line and a graphic/photo design line) so I tried XWD.
    I did not know that XWD features were going to come into the photo program, making it all inclusive.
    I upgraded each one time since then.
    XWD gets the new features first and this last update to XWD included a very impressive set of tool upgrades so I wanted to try them out.

I was maintaining each line in my own computer.
    As we have gone forward and with your confirmation I will end up dropping my XWD software and continue to maintain only the all inclusive Pro line. Whether or not I use the program for webpages again, I need the PDF features for commercial printing and besides, I just like to use the program. Maybe someday I will be proficient with it.
    Thanks!
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)