Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Request to repost Frank's mini-tutorials & drawings that disappeared

Yes Frances, I think so

its called 'usage rights', it affects how much you can make when your image is reused commercially and officially

you probably need an IPR expert to explain it fully - and most likely it would be off topic here

piracy is piracy, you have to be philosophical about that

remember copyright is not lost when your image is 'stolen' - just infringed
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Default Re: Request to repost Frank's mini-tutorials & drawings that disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    You are wrong Steve
    we disagree then John.. and move on
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Sorry Steve, this has nothing to do with agreement - this is a fact.
    And one more fact - you had never complained about this before, for all those years.
    Last edited by covoxer; 30 June 2010 at 09:17 AM.
    John.
    IP

I've been a member for 5-6 years and I have learnt a lot from this forum but I don't post a lot although I read the forum every day. My interest is mainly in web, not graphics and I recently bought Movie Edit Pro, also from the Magix stable. Whilst the software is good value, the MEP support forum pales into insignificance compared to Talkgraphics.

Having said that, there has been a discernable change in the "karma" of Talkgraphics over the past eighteen months with a more authoritarian approach seemingly having been adopted. For whatever reason, it's not good to lose top-notch contributors, sometimes people need managing, not beating with a big stick.

Where's it all going to go, for Magix (FWIW, I'd imagine that who is pulling the strings) to exercise control over Talkgraphics for the cost of hosting (which is a pittance anyway), I feel is wrong BUT they can do exactly what they want as they own the domain! Game over!
    Last edited by w00dy; 30 June 2010 at 09:28 AM.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

This still isn't sinking in I still don't see how being able to remove your attachments affects how much you can sell an image for commercially. And I don't understand why asking a moderator to remove an image for you is a bad thing? It's been my experience that if you just give them a little respect and don't be abusive they are actually pretty nice people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    I feel is wrong BUT they can do exactly what they want as they own the domain!
    Magix owns this domain!? My word. The penny suddenly drops!

I wonder who owned it before? Does anyone know?
    IP

No, the talkgraphics.com domain registrant is Xara Group Ltd.
    John.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I always thought Xara owned the domain, paid for the hosting and the Vbulletin software. But I guess since Magix owns Xara I guess it could be said that both are correct?

Edit: John Beat me to it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    This still isn't sinking in I still don't see how being able to remove your attachments affects how much you can sell an image for commercially.
    It's not about removing your attachment and making money. It's about control of that ownership. So as really hypothetical example, I draw a portrait of my girlfriend and I post it TG. It goes into the public domain, i.e. it's on the internet. Everybody makes comments about my art work - yeah nice - I like that. etc. etc. And say at a certain point my girlfriend turns around and says, "Hey that picture you put on the internet of my I found and I don't like it up there it makes me look fat." So I say, "Sorry sorry sorry, I'll take it down." Because I've put it up there I should be able to take it down. At the moment the situation is that I have to go through hoops to do that. Because it would make the post look helplessly wrong without the image. I should be able take off as easily as I put it up there. I know this harms the content of TG BUT the important thing is it's still my decision not someone else's. I own that image to do what I want with it. That's my right.

TG at the moment is saying to its members - that right is waved if you post something because it has to be this way, if you don't want to play by our rules then don't post (with I very really do any more). With all the things going on with places like Facebook and privacy issues - this leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

And that's more the issue than having images stolen by unscrupulous people.
    IP

JA, in the described situation all you have to do is PM any of the moderators and ask him to remove that image because of personal reasons (not necessary to explain all the details really). Moderators will decide what steps to make to not render the thread meaningless. Maybe by adding a comment to the post with removed image, maybe by removing entire thread or relevant posts. That depends. It's the part of moderators work really.

You have posted quite some of your art on this forum. Have you ever had any issues with your copyright on TG? Why do you assume you may have them? Are you aware of anyone having such problems here?
    John.
    IP