Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Request to repost Frank's mini-tutorials & drawings that disappeared

Yes, Xara is the registrant and therefore indirectly Magix, to quote: "In January 2007 Xara was acquired by MAGIX AG, and now operates as a wholly owned subsidiary."
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"
    IP

Default Re: Request to repost Frank's mini-tutorials & drawings that disappeared

Good to hear from you Egg and to get your stance on things
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    there is an option for people with slow internet connections so that they can turn off images in posts. See this screenshot - apologies that you can't read it directly, but you'll understand that it has been thumbnailed automatically...
    Euh, so if I want a clue what is behind the message, I have to open, the big one.
    Maybe an option for thumbnails or not would be best, but it might not be technically possible, I don`t know.

I like the thumbnails, I get a general idea of the image and when interested
    I will open them. I use a lot less bandwith because of it.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Good points Egg. It had not occurred to me about a disgruntled member changing an image to include any of the above. And I have no reason to doubt that that could happen. Steady and level thinking like that is why you will be missed.

Frances - In order to increase the resolution of an image to anything approaching print quality, the image has to be very good to begin with. You can use Genuine Fractals to upsample an image and get OK results. I have done it with some of my 300dpi TIFF no compression stereogram images to increase the size for larger prints, and it works pretty well.

But I have also tried to enlarge some pretty good JPEG images saved with 20% compression (80% Xara Quality setting) and the results have been unusable.

For images posted on the web at 96dpi to be usable for commercial printing, they would have to be reduced to 1/3 the size to achieve an acceptable print resolution. So an image that is 6" at 96dpi needs to be printed at 2". Not all that useful.

The bigger problem with images on the web, is they can be copied, usally you can drag an image out of a browser and drop it onto the desktop. Or a screen capture for Flash sites that do not let you copy the image. And these images often end up in the portfolios of people with no talent who want to show their Facebook, or other social networking sites how cool their taste in art is. A few years ago I spent a few weeks contacting a large number of social networking sites asking that my images be removed. And the burden of proof is on me, not the user. This is why images posted on the web should all have a very visible copyright line. It is very hard for Jane Doe to post one of my images and claim it is hers. Unless of course the person removed your copyright line.

The sad truth is if you post an image on the web, and somebody likes it or wants to use it, they generally will. And very few persons will have the decency or honesty to request permission to use an image.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    This still isn't sinking in I still don't see how being able to remove your attachments affects how much you can sell an image for commercially.
    syndication - if this does not mean anything to you, perhaps you could research it; off topic here
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ... It's been my experience that if you just give them a little respect and don't be abusive they are actually pretty nice people.
    of course

abuse is never right; any more than for the sake of argument, telling others to abide by standards, and accept control, which you yourself do not...

enough

I really do have better things to do

I hope somewhere along the way I was helpful....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thank you Steve J and Gary for trying to help me understand. I have a little better understanding now. And I think Steve is right it's time now for all of us to move on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

This dead horse has suffered enough beating. Thread is now closed.
    IP