Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why is the P so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by ajreed View Post
    You make some good points Paul - which sort of makes me even more grateful Xara took the route they did - that gave me and thousands of other users the opportunity to enjoy the delights of Xtreme et al (or perhaps that should have been Computer Concepts and the delights of Artworks - but showing my age I guess )

I think I now more clearly understand where Xara and its products sit in the overall scheme of things and I guess I ought to be very happy that this is the way things are - and I am.

Appreciate all your comments
    I go back to "Wordwise" for the BBC Computer. My university thesis (pre BBC computer) was on Computer-based word processors..

I'm a pro and I have no need for the "pro" features, I do like the look of the hotkey configuration utility, but it does not justify the price difference for my use, so I get along very well with the standard version. Probably the best buy, in terms of return on investment, I have ever made.

Having said that, I think, along with the "price sensitivity" issues, is the goal of expanding the user base. Adobe sells it's products to schools and colleges at a relatively low price. Today's amateurs are often tomorrows pros, get them happy with your product and they will keep on using it when they make the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I go back to "Wordwise" for the BBC Computer. My university thesis (pre BBC computer) was on Computer-based word processors..
    Oh yes I remember that as well what a far cry that is from todays software. Putting on my old codgers hat the first computers I professionally played with relied solely on paper tape to load everything, I remember the OS was a reel some 9" in diameter, and after being read by the reader had to be manually rewound back onto its spool. Then we got our first mass storage device, a 500k drum. Wow was that good. First experience with hard drives was a 5MB beastie that was the size of todays washing machines - it was so fast! Next recollection was 80MB discs only physically slightly smaller. Nowadays 500GB sits comfortably in the palm of your hand for less than £50!!

So yes - I think we have to conclude a software package with the complexity of features such as Xtreme et al, would have seemed incomprehensible while rewinding our paper tape of 40 or so years ago.

So do I still think P is so expensive? Well relatively speaking I suppose its not, as what its compared against clearly sits comfortably in the market place it competes in, and at the end of the day an item is only as expensive as the market will support. Adobe rules for some - Xara rules for others, and I'm quite happy to be one of the others
    Alan

Cough, you've forgotten to mention the punched cards...

The moderators will be after us, so we'd better return to subject.

I think the other issue is that binds me to Dreamweaver is the learning curve; I've got Expression but it is not at that subconscious level yet, and probably will never be. The cost of battling to master something else just isn't worth it.

And it is the same with Xara products - just open up a competitor and whoa... where will I find tool x, what will the keystroke be to accomplish y, what new way of working will I need to find to do z. So I will keep on buying the Pro version - sweetened by the thought I am helping a company that has done good things for a long time without profiteering - so I get a good feeling too.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk