Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have any of you come across any magazine/ezine reviews of Xara X? Where?

Also, where would you like to see X reviewed?

Cheers,

-T

Have any of you come across any magazine/ezine reviews of Xara X? Where?

Also, where would you like to see X reviewed?

Cheers,

-T

Xara's home page (right-hand side) has a listing of reviews. Also there was a posting earlier in the forum about weak reviews done Cnut and Zdnut. I believe overall Xara is getting pretty good reviews. Most Xealots (including myself) want Xarax to become an instant success. I guess we watch too much TV. It will be sometime before XaraX is a household word, but I believe it is steadly gaining ground. As long Xara continues to listen to its customers (open betas, participating, etc...) and create stable products it will be a winner.

I think one of the biggest hurdles that I see new users, and maybe some reviewers, trying to overcome, is a lack of a manual (PDF or printed). Movies/Help files are great, but for new users a simple PDF manual would do wonders. Gary's manual is helpful, but Xara should provide at least a PDF manual on the CD.

Dave Zubrowski
    Dave Zubrowski

Createonline Magazine has a demo of XaraX included in Feb issue. The last line in the review is "........do checkout the gallery at www.xara.com - it will blow you away."
    Cheers

Being a Gutenbergian by birth I too was longing for a manual. Now, some six weeks later, I don't really miss it. But still, it would be welcome.

I think that one of the main reasons why there isn't one now, is that the people at Xara simply didn't have the time, and also didn't really realise what Xara X can do (look at the gallery, and lots of topics right here). We're also still waiting for the first patch...
    BUT a book without Ivan's brushes wouldn't be complete, as as he invents some new things a few times a week, well, this book will have to be published in episodes. Like Gary's. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I hate the wretched things.

What I like about a paper manual is you can take it on the train, browse it while watching TV, flick between pages etc.

The only problem with a book will be cost - an inspirational book needs some glossy pictures.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I like PDF format (most of the documents I prepare for the school are in pdf format ) BUT...
    Like Simon, I would prefer a paper book for the same reason (travel etc...)and mainly to have beside the computer to work with XX.

Some would point out that I could have both open simultaneously on the PC except that I don't have a large monitor and I hate going back and forth.
    I know I'll buy that precious book as soon as it's publish...

Now for the reviews, the only thing I read about XX is positive !
    Thanks to Xara ltd and thanks to all of you for sharing your expertise (via the posts and images).

By far this is the best forum !

D. Fournier [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Thomas

I have seen reviews of Xara X in several computer magazines with more appearing all the time. So far I have seen reviews in:
    PC User (UK) - glowing review,
    Computer Arts (USA - top graphics magazine) - praising review, and
    IT Graphics (Australia - Australian version of Computer Arts) - praising review.
    PC Authority (Australia) will have a review of it either this month or next month.
    And I expect other popular magazines like
    Design Graphics (UK, I think - another top graphics mag),
    PC World (USA and Australia),
    PC Magazine (USA and Australia),
    Australian Personal Computer (Australia), and
    PC User (Australia)
    will follow suit soon.

I'm amazed at how quickly word has got around about Xara X. And everyone's giving it high praise!

Xara X rules! ^_^

The other graphics program which is getting high praise is Canvas 7. PC User magazine has put it at the top of its A-List (Issue 68), toppling the long-time holder of this position, CorelDRAW!

Taz

Sorry! Correction to my post:

I meant to say I have seen a review for Xara X in PC Pro magazine, not PC User. PC Pro is an excellent UK mag which I read all the time. It has good quality, infomative critical reviews by experts in their field. Its latest issue has a glowing review on Xara X.

The reviews of Xara X in Computer Arts and IT Graphics magazines are also in their latest issue.

In my comment about Canvas 7 I also meant to say PC Pro magazine, not PC User, has put it at the top of its A-List of graphics programs (Issue 68).

Taz [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Issue 78 of Computeractive gives a very good review of Xara X. It includes a bit about Corel's part in the program's history - not at all complimentary to Corel.
    Unfortunately the review is not online but the web site is http://www2.vnu.co.uk/v5_static/comp.../thisissue.htm
    Geology in the Bristol Area
    www.wega.org.uk
    Walking in the Auvergne
    www.churchard.com