Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Better magnetic object snapping when scaling a rectangle

I made a post regarding this here http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=46136 but incase it's overlooked or forgotten and because it's the proper board I'm posting it here in Dear Xara...

Basically I get unpredictable behaviour when holding ctrl and scaling a rectangle using the rectangle tool. When it comes close to the the edge of another rectangle it sometimes snaps to it but it overrides the ctrl key and I lose constraint, other times it doesn't snap at all, it just slides over the edge. I've turned off snap to grid and snap to guides and it's still dodge. Increasing magnetic snap radii to 20px for line makes the problem more obvious. It snaps fine without ctrl but problems when holding it.

Converting the rectangle to an editable shape and then using the shape editor tool and it snaps fine when holding ctrl, but converting the rectangle to a shape introduces extra unessecary steps and loses some of the handy rectangle tool controls like easily editing rounded corners and is also less intuitive.

If magnetic object snapping when scaling using the object selector could be made possible too that would be super peachy and there would be no need to hold ctrl so this could be a good alternative to using the rectangle tool.

Improvements made to either or preferebly both tools would be great.

Default Re: Better magnetic object snapping when scaling a rectangle

This is an area in which you would get support from Luciano who has been requesting for Dynamic Guides for ages which would resolve some of the problems in your request that you have made.
    Design is thinking made visual.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Xtom,

Do you still have snap to objects on? That sounds like the behavior that you are seeing.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Yes but I want the edge of the rectangle I'm extending to snap to the edge of an other rectangle so object snapping needs to be on.

It works without constraining but if you hold ctrl to constrain the width or height it doesn't work. I'd rather it worked with the selector tool so there wouldn't be need to hold Ctrl, you could just drag one of the middle handles and have it snap to the edges.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I see. I agree that this is a problem.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

Of course...you can still just manually adjust the rectangle width and hight with the rectangle tool still selected....but then that makes holding down the Ctrl key kind of redundant doesn't it.
    My Club. My Album.

Yeah it's not a show stopping problem but it's something that should hopefully be improved to aid speedier construction. Who wants to waste time zooming and scrutinizing edges or entering values etc. when you can have a speedy object snap.