Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New Dark Color Scheme + XDP6 New Feature Mod = Slightly Better Viewing Experience

You're right, Steve!

I actually started this thread to point out that, while I had an issue with the change to darker colors, I had used one of the COOL NEW features of XDP6 to make the change less of a strain on my eyes. I thought that it was a great way to show off the new ability to alter the 'pasteboard background color'. Additionally, I was attempting to show that it could (possibly) be used to make a difference to someone else having similar visual difficulties with the overall darkness of the new interface.

As Gary Priester said, "Sounds like a good compromise Harry." I thought so, too! Personally, I'm happier with the new interface after my lighter grey pasteboard modification. I'm sticking with that minor color change/tweak and not opting to the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S switch that reverts everything back to the previous interface colors.

So far I haven't voted with my feet, or my wallet, one way or the other. They're both still communicating with my brain and my eyes and remain undecided whether to go ahead with the upgrade to XDP6. My choice to upgrade to XXP3.2, XXP4, and XXP5 required much less thought.

Off to play with some of the other new features,
    Harry
    IP

Default Re: New Dark Color Scheme + XDP6 New Feature Mod = Slightly Better Viewing Experience

To be honest (why not huh?), I think all these threads truly show the passion that people deem to be THEIR program....and that's easy to see how that happens. I'm one of those.

Solutions have already been provided for those that wish to change from the expert's standard and that's fair too.

I'm also sure one day a tweak will appear that will allow a more versatile change for the gui....perhaps, perhaps not....but my feeling is most Xara users will not 'walk anywhere else' just because this is truly a great program at a bargain price....and worst case senario, a person can always use an older version that they own if they aren't happy with the new one.

Personally, I expect to upgrade because there appears to be a great deal of function added and more will be discovered as time goes on, of that I'm sure....cause......YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Um, Mr. OverModerator (at times):
    Please avoid going personal and never insult other members (including moderators). Any criticism or discussion of the moderators actions is strictly prohibited by the forum rules.
    Thank you.
    John.
    IP

I don't really see the problem. Some don't like the colour of the UI, some (me included) do like it. Its my understanding that its very easy to revert to the old colour scheme. Its not something I've tried but I've seen endless mentions of it.
    Now the flyout menus, thats another matter, they’ve got to go; how do they help anyone? No wait, they have gone, I removed them and replaced their contents with the individual items as they were in the olden days. My preference, which is why its customisable.
    The option for a smaller toolbar to return is something that would get my vote just to maximise screen space, though what’s wrong with lime green I don't know, but I bet we green lovers will never get that choice?
    IP

good tip Harry, I will try it - to be honest the pasteboard color was one thing that really upset me with the new UI

however my eyes will always be the final judge [in the sense of what they will accept] - I have the luxury [as a cartoonist as much as anything] not to have to worry too much about the minutiae of color fidelity when using xtreme/designer

if I do animation, and I do need to be more careful, I use Toon Boom - my version has an 'adobe CS5' type UI, which is perfectly acceptable - despite what has been said elsewhere I think adobe know what they are doing in this regard as well as others
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

My participation in the threads is in the hope that someone in authority takes notice.

The mention that support for changing to the original UI may not be supported in future releases. This is what cut the deepest with me.

Essentially this seems to indicate that who ever is making the decisions has decided that people that do not like the dark UI will no longer be supported by Xara software. Not very customer friendly in my opinion.

Whether someone prefers the dark or light UI isn't the important thing here. The important thing is will some customers be dropped from the target demographic?

I can understand that resources are not unlimited and manhours must be utilized wisely.

If only one UI can be supported, should not the one that requires 3rd party software be dropped rather than the native code?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Regarding the choice of UI. Xara never offered the choice of the UI before. Never. Now as you have it, you complain about it missing. Why hadn't you complained before in the first place?
    John.
    IP

John who's post are you replying to?

If to mine, there wasn't anything to complain about. The original UI is the one I prefer. My complaint is that it may disappear in the future for one that is not pleasant to use.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

well I have seen talks about the GUI (it isn`t so much the UserInterface, but the Graphic part of it) before. Some calling it old fashioned than.
    But if you didn`t hear complaints before doesn`t that say something?
    And now that it IS changed, some would like the option for the old or atleast
    setting the colorscheme themselves, and I just found out in this thread that
    you can atleast set the workingspacepart yourself. Which is good.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Ummm, I'll go ahead and state the obvious, it's because I, for one, actually liked the original interface. Why would I complain about something I liked?

My question to you, John and the rest of the Xara/Magix developers, is why all of a sudden did you feel the need to change the color scheme? If it's such a super advantage that we're being led to believe, then why wasn't it changed in XX/XXP version 3, 4 or 5. Why dark grey, and why now?

This reminds me of the New Coke debate. In the end, Coca-Cola finally admitted defeat and brought and reintroduced Coke Classic .
    IP