Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Addition of a shortcut to "Move To Current Layer"

I would like to suggest the addition of a shortcut combination to quickly move an object (or objects if more than one is selected) to the current layer.

In Xara Xtreme 4 the old move button was quick enough, but with version 5 and 6 the different ways available arenīt quick enough, and are a step back in this regard compared to version4.

Miguel
    IP

Default Re: Addition of a shortcut to "Move To Current Layer"

Is selecting object then right-click>>Move to current layer not quick?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	move-to-current-layer.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	73363
    IP

Not enough sledger. If your drawing has a lot of layers and objects you have to first click the locate button and then right click the object first to get that menu.
    I rely a lot on layer/objects organization and need to move things frequently between layers. Dragging the objects directly to the layer i want is not a quick option either since some times thereīs a lot of other objects/layers in between.
    So a simple shortcut like Ctrl+m (or something else) would be great and the fastest way.
    IP

you can assign a shortcut [and there is a button] to the new 'paste in active layer' - need to ctrl+c first when using it of course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks for the suggestion handrawn. The problem is that you are creating a duplicate of the object and not really moving it. Of course you can delete the object from the original location afterwards, but that turns the process as slow as the other methods.
    IP

well you could use ctrl+x instead of ctrl+c [cut not copy]?

[actually I was sure I'd said ctrl+x in the first place - must be lack of sleep ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

handrawn,
    even if you use Ctrl+x it doesnīt help because the object is placed on the active layer in a different position. Itīs like doing a regular cut/paste (not a paste in place). Besides that you would have to use two shortcuts for a move operation: one to cut the object and other to paste in the current active layer (if it could keep the original position of the object).

Thatīs why iīm suggesting simply selecting the objects from the canvas and hit a single shortcut to move them to the current active layer. Thereīs nothing quicker than this.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions
    IP