Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Reducing my front page size

Hi
    I have been designing a site for a client who insist on having a large gold frame on each page. I've tried everything I can think of to reduce the file size without making it too poor a quality. The site is at www.candelabraforhire.com and any suggestions will be welcomed.

Any thoughts on how I can speed up the loading?

Thanks
    Charles

Default Re: Reducing my front page size

Using JPG instead of PNG would reduce the file size dramatically. You would then have to move the content to the front or chop the JPG up into 4 slices.

Thanks for the response. I've been trying to keep the transparency but no matter what I do the size seems to end up at around 600Kb.

I have checked it in XaraX Pro and the pixel size is 820 wide which is what it is meant to be, and exporting it as a gif or png shows it as being reduced to around 168Kb, but when I then import it into WD6 it ends up as just 500pix wide and scaling it back to the 820pix wide the file seems to end up at around 450-600Kb. I have just tried making an 820pix wide bar in Xara and importing this to WD6 and it imports as a 500pix wide bar. Any thoughts on this?

Web Designer imports graphics at 500 pixels to avoid having to work with too large images. I believe that you can turn off the 500 pixel limit in the options menu. Although I don't have web designer on this computer to try it ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for that comment. Can't see any way to remove the 500pix import limit.

What doesn't make sense is that the file being imported at 820pix wide reads as being 168kb but when it is imported in to WD6 and brought back to 820pix wide it increases dramatically in file size to over 450Kb. I can't see any reason for this.
    Anyone any thoughts?

Most images (jpg, gif, png, etc.) are compressed on disk, but when opened in a program for display they are uncompressed.

As for turning off the 500pix import restriction use XaReg.

Download XaReg from the XaraXone shareware page: http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

XaReg is a utility program that provides easy access to Registry keys created by the Xara developers. Without these keys and information provided by the development team, XaReg could not exist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmap_import_size.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	73244  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Group the frame, frame bg and the transparent rectangle then go to Web Properties>>Image [tab] and choose JPEG as the web image type. Select a quality 80%. The exported .jpg looks great and is only 87.5KB

See exported:
    http://talkgraphics.magix.net/public...elabraforhire/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Apologies ---------- The relevant options menu item is in Xtreme not Web Designer
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.