Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Smile Any programmers looking for some work?

Please see the following link in relation to a Spot the Ball competition I mentioned here a short while ago.

I contacted the website developer but he is actually a designer and as I'm designing the website, his services are obviously not required. The company running the competition have their own programmers and I've had a quotation from them for supplying the code/software for running a Spot the Ball competition but there are conditions and restrictions and I'd like to see what alternatives there are. The obvious one is that I simply look at someone writing the necessary script and this is what I'd like to explore.

If anyone is interested please PM me and I will provide you with specific details.

If this isn't the place to post this, would appreciate knowing where. (Am starting here and if no-one is interested then will look at other websites).

Thanks!

alilister Guest

Default Re: Any programmers looking for some work?

Hi Red Bear,

Sorry I can't help. I'm a front ender/usability freak with very limited coding skills.

But you have made me nostalgic. Spot the Ball was something from my childhood - when our father would be at the end of his busy week and trying to catch up with the papers. Perhaps it's a northern thing, but it used to be quite an occasion to sit with my family and do the Spot the Ball in the newspaper. My brother and sister and I were each allowed to make 50 crosses, so we always submitted a wet, smudged, holey, blue scrap of paper in a Basildon Bond envelope, addressed in spidery, childish handwriting. I think you were supposed to be over 21 to enter, but it didn't matter because I doubt any of them ever reached the newspaper office!

I really can't believe that there was any fair way of judging the result in those days from (as has been said) the ball point pen scrapings on newsprint; can you imagine?! Even at the time there were many scandals and loads of people would challenge the winning result every week. Pixels would allow greater precision in determining the winner, wouldn't they?

Sorry for not being able to help with the programming, but thanks for the memory.

Ali

After scientifically analysing which way the players were looking, the weather conditions, the date etc the ball was always up in the stands or something!
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

alilister Guest

LOL John! I know. I used always to put it in the stands or in the sky. It didn't seem to matter. I see you are in sunny Stretford. Makes me nostalgic. I haven't lived in Manchester since my twenties, but I sometimes long for it, especially the broadband speeds!

Ali

I live about 300 yards - as the coughing crow flies - from the exchange so with O2 it's blinding! Even BT have almost caught up with the idea apparently. There are plans for 100mb fibre optic [to the premises] down the "Manchester Corridor" too, tho the election might have scuppered that.

PS It has actually been sunny for a couple of weeks now
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64