Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Should I move to Web Designer 6?

Jon, why not just download the trial? The Xtreme Pro 6 release might happen before the trial ends (not that I have any insider knowledge).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Jon, why not just download the trial? The Xtreme Pro 6 release might happen before the trial ends (not that I have any insider knowledge).

Paul
    Hard to argue with that! Then the decision is a no-brainer...

Quote Originally Posted by jonazen View Post
    I *do* wish site uploads could be "smart",
    This is already implemented in WD6.
    John.

WD6 is a wonderful programme, the ease of operation is remarkable. I have yet to come across something I want to do which isn't accessible using WD6. The uploading facility is brilliant, a big improvement from the first edition. I am wrapped with it.
    Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Thanks - yes - I see that now. I had WD6 and Xara Xtreme (XX?) 5 open side by side last night to compare. The new widgets gallery is a nice addition, smart upload will be a nice time saver, site-wide image optimization sounds like a nice idea - although my tendency in the past has been to check any optimization individually to make sure the image still looks good -- curious to see how well this works.

Overall -- if I didn't have XX5 already WD would be a brilliant value. Close enough at this point though so I'm not totally sure it's worth paying for WD6 rather than waiting to see when XXpro 6 might come out...

I'm finding add-ons like widgets and photo galleries increasingly important for even the most casual websotes that clients (and friends) request, since they see features like these all over the web. Nice to see this being addressed in WD6 -- more convenient than searching the web for widgets and copying in to placeholders. Also like the placeholder default image feature.

Interesting: I've been doing some web searches to see what other web tools are on the market, and although I see some very powerful "professional" tools, I'm still surprised that they don't seem to offer the kind of quick start productivity you get with WD6 or XX5 as an option -- nothing to make getting started easy, with option to drop into deeper control as the need arises. Seems like the tools, in general, are essentially wsyiwyg or programmer-level tools with little to bridge the gap.

For my purposes, XX or WD6 cover most of what I need to do except for enterprise apps. I suspect I'll be sticking with them for a while!

- Jon

I've used DW for a decade or so. After XWD 6 I have not touched it for new projects. Actually I only take on web design projects that I can design with XWD. Most sites are done in half or less time than it would have taken with DW, which means I can take on more projects and make more $$. It's a beautiful solution for small to medium size website.

There is good size market for smaller websites with social networking integration and that's perfect for XWD. This type websites is easy to keep updated for site owners that find joomla type sites too complicated and want more than a blog. Most find managing their facebook, blog or twitter accounts easy. It also quite easy for the designer to mimic the web 2.0 look that everybody seem to think they need to have. With XWD it's also quite easy to take this a bit further and create web 2.0 design that does not look like all the others out there.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    John --

I noticed that you're using XX Pro 5, WD6 and WS4. I've also used WS4 for a number of projects. As nice as WD6 is, it seems that some of the features (or perhaps it's just some of the specific templates) haven't been translated across into WD6. For example -- the "Mechanix Theme", from which I have borrowed and re-colored the nav bar for a couple of different sites. Although it's a small collection, the themes offer some interesting ideas for unique UI elements, and it's certainly convenient to start from a set of coordinated design components. Would have been nice if these had been translated across into WD6 as well. No disaster -- but this suggests that I had better keep WS4 installed and handy as long as I'm maintaining client sites that use some of these design elements.

edit: looking back at the website, I'm thinking I should probably snag menu maker while it's still being sold...

- Jon
    Last edited by jonazen; 14 June 2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: menu maker

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

Paul
    BTW: a number of items in the trail Galleries are "preview only"...so I can do basic work with the preview, but certain aspects of it are off limits until I buy...

A full set of designs for the Designs Gallery are downloadable after activating the software via Help>>Download Templates. This is a large download which isn't even included with the purchased download of the application (though they are on the CD if you choose to buy the backup disc)
    A basic set are a there for use in the trial period. The software is otherwise completely fully functional for the 30 day trial period.

Many people don't even use the templates, preferring instead to create their own style website.

True re: templates. I'm realizing now the last two sites I did were totally from scratch. Just thinking that perhaps with a good assortment of templates I might be able to service a particular client segment in a very cost effective manner. Although when I think about it, I can't remember the last time a client was 100% happy with any kind of template-based project deliverable, be it a website, strategic plan, or anything else...

Food for thought, but it's late and I'm too tired to think any more tonight (and have to get up in 5 hours for work -- eeek!).

Thanks for the comments and input...
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 14 June 2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: No need to quote preceding post in full