Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default embedding word docs?

Hi,
    I am using Xara Xtreme and would like to include some Word documents in the website I am helping to set up. The documents are not straight out text, but have various fonts, formatting and also contain a few images. Is there a good way to maybe embed documents in a webpage, or something similar? The document pages are A4 size, around 3 to 4 pages each. Can't see any obvious reference to this topic elsewhere yet? I thought of using placeholders as a possibility but looked a bit cumbersome in this case, and maybe that's not the best way to go? Hopefully there's a simple solution?
    Any ideas please,
    Rikko

12 June

Default Re: embedding word docs?

You cannot embed a native Word *.doc in a website to display it's contents in-line.

But you could export your Word doc to html and then use a scrolling iframe to pull in the exported html file.

Keep in mind websafe fonts

Hi Sledger,

I seem to recall (several years back) including (uploaded) MS Publisher files in a website that I was maintaining for a local church, or maybe I should say they were "linked" in a website, when I then used Front Page? Unless my fading memory has escaped me, I thought that those files ("documents") were then accessible in their original format etc? I also thought that I had included a library database possibly constructed with MS Word?

If those recollections are not right, or not available using Xara, then I guess I will go for the suggested option of using HTML

Thanks,
    Rikko
    12 June

Sure you can link to them to make them available for download and off-line viewing (provided the person downloading has the right version of Word installed), but this isn't the same as embedding.

Just link to the file in the Link properties:

index_htm_files/mydoc1.doc (uncheck 'Correct automatically')

Export your website to a folder on your HDD, copy mydoc1.doc to the index_htm_files folder, then publish

(Note: In web designer 6 this process is made easier via the 'Link to file:' setting)

Thanks Sledger,
    All good now.
    Cheers,
    Rikko

You could also include a link to a free word viewer application for those that don't own MS Office or MS Word.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update