Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Takes so long to upload

Mike,

It's a perfectly good question and I'm sure a lot of others here will be interested to know if anyone sorts the puzzle out. Unfortunately, I don't have the same version of the software.

Paul

These are the steps I just took to re confirm that the process works as advertised:

I created a test site and published the first full upload, I closed the .web file and closed WD6.

After relaunching WD6 I opened my .web file, made a single character change to page 1 (index.htm), saved and pressed 'Publish to website'.
    I made certain that the 'Re-publish changed files only' is checked in the Publish tab of Web properties.
    WD prompted me to re export to a folder first, I browsed to the export folder and continued.
    After export, the FTP connection is established (seen in the status bar) and the Uploading progress bar shows the files being transfered, in this case they were;
    xr_text.css index.htm and index.xhl
    These are the only files which are changed with a single character text edit.
    xr_text.css because I changed the text character colour and weight, index.htm because this changed style class for that character.
    The last file (index.xhl) is the 'list' file, it's how Web Designer keeps track of the changed files.
    If this is somehow deleted before any upload then WD will upload the whole site because it will have lost it's referrence, so don't remove this file.

The publishing (uploading) progress bar shows top-right of the screen, not in the status bar.
    It looks like this (I grabbed this during the first full upload):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	publish-progress-bar.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	73121

If anyone following a similar procedure is experiencing something quite different and unexpected, I urge you to repeat the steps to fully confirm you are experiencing errors, note down the steps you took and post a bug report in the Dear Xara Web Designer... forum for the developers to see.

Make sure you re-export the site locally when publishing it.
    To do so, select the location of the previously exported version of this site on your HDD when you are asked about the export location by the publish procedure. Or simply export it over before publishing.
    Sequential updates does not work if you do not export over the previous version of the site.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Sequential updates does not work if you do not export over the previous version of the site.
    Hopefully some form of the feature request at http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=45386 is added

Yes, but this particular feature would not automatically avoid the problem. First of all you have to make sure you are keeping previously exported versions of the site untouched. Only then there is a point of storing the export path. In any case, user has to understand what he is doing and what consequence it may have. Though the path preserving would save us form some routine actions.
    John.

Mike,
    I don't use the WD6 export feature, but thought I would test it for this thread with an existing site. The first publish was quite slow (several minutes). I changed one letter on index.htm and re-published (re-publish changed files only). The .web exported first, and them published index.xhl and index.htm in about 2 seconds. Works as expected for me also.

Jim

Thanks for all the replies ..I'm gona take a closer look at what i'm doing and make sure I do it right .....

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Well I just corrected the spelling on one of my pages and all my html pages were shown as changed. I always export to the same folder then use Expression Web to upload to my ISP. I am using WD6
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    ....and all my html pages were shown as changed.
    Please explain where are they shown as changed?
    I always export to the same folder then use Expression Web to upload to my ISP. I am using WD6
    Incremental publishing only works if you use WD to upload files.
    John.

I am very impressed with the publishing of WD6. In particular when just making a few changes to an already published site. With the tab, 're-publish changed files only,' ticked, it is lightning fast!! It is a marked improvement on the previous version.
    Thanks to the creation crew!
    Rupert.